An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Have you tried vaping?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Joethefirst, Mar 8, 2016.

1. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I have tried E cigs on several occasions but not a vape pen or device like that. I do know of some people life long smokers who have quit using vape devices but I am not sure if that the exception rather than the rule. Even though vaping and vape devices may be more socially acceptable and don't create the mess that tobacco does, it is not a good or healthy thing to do.
  2. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I totally agree. Like I always say, if one wants to quit smoking, just stop. Don't use alternatives like nicotine gum, patches, and e-cigarettes. They're still poison to our bodies.
  3. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

They are marketing vape as the safe way to smoke, to increase the lifespan of the products. Instead of persons using it to help them quit, even after quitting they still keep using it. For me the ultimatum would be to stop all types of smoking eventually.
  4. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I was thinking of getting an e-cigarette for my fiance, but after reading of all those incidents in which the e-cigs exploded on the faces or pants of the people who used them I changed of mind. I'd not buy that for him knowing what I know about those awful incidents :(
  5. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

How about avoiding them for the real reasons instead of for a few isolated incidents that are very unlikely to happen to your fiance?

The recently discovered carcinogens in them, the nicotine, the bad things that frequently inhaling heated vapor into your lungs can do, or the fact that it is still smoking are better reasons to avoid them.

E-cigarettes are not a solution to quitting and they are not a safe alternative to regular cigarettes. They are a toxin delivery system with their own set of problems and still a bad thing to use.
  6. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

I agree in that it's just another way to make money off people. It seems to be a more attractive method to use. I don't know is it because it's new on the market or what. I see stores just for the e-cigarettes. I know my 14 year old says some boys in her school talked about using these vapors. I don't know much about them. I wonder is it causing more kids to be drawn to it.
  7. JohnBeaulieu

That is one of the major problems. Companies are targeting teens with this whether they admit to it or not.
  8. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I think that you just need to convince your fiancee to just stop smoking. E-cigarettes and all those alternatives (that have nicotine) are just as bad. They are still addictive and personally, I don't think that it's the best way to go if one wants to stop smoking.
  9. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I quit smoking cigarettes and moved onto my vape. I enjoyed it for a while, but it really lost it's touch for me. Smoking in general has lost it's touch. I don't enjoy either now, but I would recommend it for someone that is trying to get out of the habit of inhaling actual smoke. The smoke itself can definitely be more harmful than the vaporizer.
  10. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

When I tried a vaporizer, I didn't really enjoy it. I have only smoked a cigarette once, which I didn't enjoy either as I knew the negative effects and trashed the idea of smoking ever again anyway. They can be "fun" and going form smoking cigarettes to smoking a vaporizer is definitely a healthy way forward, which is better than doing nothing. This is especially so if the only thing inside the vaporizer is the flavoring, no other forms of tobacco or marijuana.

There are entire communities out there that consider "vaping" a hobby, which was rather alarming when I first saw it. They even have vaping conventions. It is a more hipster-ish and modern way to smoke, but they aren't healthy, just healthier than cigarettes if you're not putting anything in them.
  11. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Everything point to that, the fact that the act of vaping is very similar to smoking just makes quitting harder. It's just an alternative to cigarettes not a real cure.
  12. JohnBeaulieu

Harmful in different ways, not less harmful. I suppose only inhaling a handful of carcinogens instead of over 7,000 is technically better, but in reality it isn't. Deadly chemicals are deadly chemicals, inhaling 3 or 4 instead of 7K is still deadly. Vaping is not better.
  13. achexx84

achexx84 Active Contributor

I started vaping a month ago, and haven't quite quit smoking cigarettes, but I am so close. I used to smoke anywhere from half a pack of cigarettes to a whole pack a day. One day, I stopped in and picked up a vapor pen and bought some juice to go with it. I now only smoke 1 or 2 cigarettes a day, and I only use my vape when I absolutely feel the need to. This is my last week of cigarettes though, as I won' t be buying a pack, but I will keep 1 set aside just to prove a point. By time I smoke it, it will be stale and nasty, and I'll probably throw it out anyway. I eventually plan to kick it all together and be totally nicotine and tobacco free.
  14. Joethefirst

What ever method works for you is great, just as long as you quit smoking.
  15. Bunnyriffic

Bunnyriffic Member

I agree, it all depends on the person and what decisions they make. Unfortunately, people tend to make poor decisions with vaping as an alternative to cigarettes. They'll vape more and more and more, working their way up to higher settings on the vape. It doesn't help with addiction to nicotine, in my experience. It only serves as a different way to get that nicotine and on a higher dose than cigarettes, usually. Also, a lot of friends I have that vape continue to smoke cigarettes on the side. Seems kind of counterproductive at that point.
  16. JohnBeaulieu

That is bad advice because that most people end up switching without quitting. Companies that make these products are happy to be viewed as an aid to quitting knowing that those who switch will likely continue using the product rather than actually quitting.

This is why the method matters. It isn't a case of whatever works when somebody is set up for failure with a method because they have been misinformed or lead to believe faulty ideas. Vaping is almost doomed at the outrset as a method of quitting.
  17. Joethefirst

What method did you use when you quit smoking? Did you use replacement therapy or did you just use will power?
  18. JohnBeaulieu

I didn't start to begin with, but that is beside the point. I'm not going to get into the broader debate of replacement therapy. I'll just say that actual replacement therapy has a spotty but still better track record than that of vaping or e-cigarettes and they really can't be lumped together.
  19. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Yes, I own an e-cig. I like vaping, it feels cleaner and safer, not to mention that people are not bothered by it and my mouth doesn't smell like a rotten carcass after I do so. It is indeed a better alternative to smoking, but it has its own risk. If you want to be completely healthy, you have to cut out all types of smoking (and any other kind of drug abuse).
  20. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

No, I've never been a smoker in any case and vaping doesn't interest me. I have noticed kiosks popping up all over the place selling vaping and e-cigarette products. Fortunately, most of the folks in my circle are not too keen on vaping either.