An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Having a pet

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by JonnyMacdonald, May 26, 2015.

1. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

One of my favorite things in my life is my cat. Caring for one of God's other creatures can be very rewarding and gives you a little bit of responsibility as you have a life to care for.
    I always felt that having a pet can help cope with addiction. It can give you a loving distraction and some entertainment. Little Smokey can really take the edge off a tempting day.
    What do you guys think?
  2. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I can't imagine life without having a pet. When I wasn't able to have a cat or dog, I got myself a couple of goldfish. I got them a fantastic aquarium and fitted it out with all kinds of plants, shells, rocks and little toys. It was a real pleasure for me to watch them when I got home from work in the evenings. I would just make myself a cup of herbal tea, put my feet up and watch Stan and Laurel swimming around in their little paradise... forgetting all my worries and drifting off into a world of distant dreams and water bubbles.
  3. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Yes, agreed with the sense of responsibility. Knowing you’re able to take care of a pet can give you a sense of accomplishment and purpose, which I think would be really helpful in the recovery process. Not to mention, they’re loving companions, and having a little more unconditional love in one’s life is beneficial.
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I have a dog and when I was down and out he was the only true friend I had. At one point I thought I was alone in the world and nobody cared about me. But he was always there to greet me at the door. Pets do wonders for you, in life and sobriety. I never get bored if he's around.
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Very true. Taking care of a pet could be a good way for someone to recover from their addictions. It would somehow teach them how to be responsible and it would eventually boost their self-esteem. A pet is also a great companion. They will never judge you. :)
  6. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

Absolutely! There are so many days that I will just pour my secrets and thoughts out to my dogs. They never judge, just listen with those big floppy ears and give me kisses to let me know they care. Call me crazy, but sometimes, I really think they understand us and know how we feel. It lowers my stress and tension to cuddle them and I think I have read somewhere that it's been proven to lower blood pressure. Ya know, except for when they chew the furniture. Ha!
  7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Pets can also fill the void inside you but also make you more responsible. I really love animals and I have a dog that I would not give up for even 10 million dollars.
    It's amazing how a pet can change someone's life positively.
  8. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

JonnyMacDonald, please don't get me started. I was here this minute reminiscing and talking about my Twinkle. That's my cat who is not with me anymore. I lost her under suspicious circumstances but more than half of year down the road and a day does not go by without me thinking about him. I have spoken about him here before. He changed my life forever. Thankfully, I have four dogs now so I still have pets. They are my therapy many days. I am fully convinced that pets can help you deal better with life.
  9. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I love my pets and they do help a great deal with my mental and emotional state I think! A lot of the time it feels like they can just listen to you -- they won't judge, they are as loyal as anyone can possibly be, and they love you unconditionally. Honestly, my pets are so much a part of our family and household that I don't know what I would do without them.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Yes. It has been proven that having pets can be really good for one's health. Some pets are even helpful in various health conditions and are being participated on recovery activities. Pets can make us feel loved and it definitely feels good. :)
  11. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

I don't think I would have been this successful with cleaning up, staying clean, and getting out of bed everyday if not for my pets. They depend on me, and I depend on them.
    Winterybella likes this.
  12. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Pets have a huge influence in our lives believe it or not. They get our minds off of negative things and keep us happy. I used to have a dog but she passed away sadly a couple years back. At least we have the goats and chickens to look after he he.
  13. juulicob

juulicob Member

I fully agree. Having an animal presence is just so calming and inspiring. My little Link understands my vibe and my emotions and he's always there for me. I named him Link (from Legend of Zelda) and also realizing that he may be my missing link - and he was. I'm truly happy when I get to snuggle his little face and see his open-mouthed smile, panting and glistening eyes. Animals provide the ultimate therapy, for any situation. Animals are brought to nursery homes, rehabs, hospitals... and will always bring a smile to your face.
  14. 6up

6up Community Champion

I like playing with my pet dogs very much. They keep me busy whenever am stressed thereby making me to avoid the stress. I travel with them on short distances.
  15. justalittle

justalittle Member

Without my dog, I probably wouldn't be alive right now. Whenever I felt down, I used to turn to dangerous coping methods. However, now that I have a dog, I can just cuddle up with her instead. As long as you give a pet unconditional love, they will do the same. I could be in the worst mood, yet my dog still puts a smile on my face.
    Winterybella likes this.
  16. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Yes, having a pet does make you feel like a parent, (if you aren't one) because the welfare of a creature solely depends on you. I really appreciate the little gestures that cats do like rubbing up on their masters because it's their way of letting us know their appreciation for the things that we do for them. If only I can afford it I would gladly have more pets in my life. :)
  17. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Oh yeah. animals are great therapy. A puppy or cat is really great for almost any kind of addiction. Even if you are recovering from a toxic relationship or situation. Dogs are great because you need to walk them and they love it. They give you so much more than anything you could do for yourself. They just make so much sunshine.
    They are a great distraction. They are also not going to offer you whatever you are trying to avoid. They just want love and attention.
  18. Winterybella

How timely is it for me to find this post that is a fitting reminder of how our pets can make such a huge difference in our lives. Today I have decided to stay at home and work from there. I've been so out of it lately and the ones I can depend on to be on my side are my four faithful friends. My addiction might not be drugs or alcohol, but whatever other addictions I might have real or imagined, my dogs help me through it all.
  19. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Totally, I probably wouldn't be here if It wasn't for my cat, she is my best friend and there were some dark times that I only made it through because she was the one good constant thing in my life and always there for me.
    Winterybella likes this.
  20. Winterybella

I know what you mean. Sadly, I lost mine way too soon but I carry him in my heart every single day. A day does not go by that I don't feel his presence. I have made sure of that. I am so happy you have your little one with you. Thankfully I am still left with my four girls( dogs). They help me through many dark days.