An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Having goals

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by FuZyOn, Apr 11, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

It's important that you set some goals for yourself. Things that you have to achieve and preferably through hard work, so that you become motivated to recover faster.
    For example, when I was recovering I told to myself that I'm going to buy a new TV, PS4 and start gaming to help me keep mind off of things, but only if I would work hard and become clean.
    Joseph likes this.
  2. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

I think that's a really good idea. Most of my goals are in the short term. Not because I don't want the long term goals, but because I don't know what I want them to be. I have such a short attention span, ya know. Lol
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I have to say that I never really stuck with setting goals for too long. They always seemed depressingly unachievable. Most of the time, just getting through the day is reward enough for me!
  4. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

I think setting small, manageable goals is the best way (at least for me). This includes all areas of life, in my opinion. You set a goal, reach it, and you feel that nice sense of accomplishment. It makes you want to do more, so you set another goal, and another... I think when we make the goal too big or too long term, it can take too long to feel like progress is being made. I think celebrating every goal, even the small ones, is a great way to keep moving forward.
  5. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

I've set a small goal for myself earlier today to get my mid out of my habit. I installed NBA 2k14 on my PC and am now looking to turn my character into a hall of famer. I kind of still want to drink but my character is now a starter. I haven't gotten out of the house to buy a bottle of alcohol yet, so I guess it's working. I'm playing 12 minutes a quarter so it's eaten a lot of my Sunday... hehehe
  6. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

One day at a time, friend, one day at a time. Sunday is as good a day as any, right? So, kick some butt at your game, and give yourself a big pat on the back for enjoying some good, clean, fun instead of indulging in something unhealthy. Great job! I'm happy for you.
  7. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

You are absolutely correct. As I matter of fact, I have decided to set some goals as well, in order to feel better about myself. For example, I'd really love it if I could start hitting up the gym more often, starting this summer. In fact, I am ready to dedicate all of my free time to leading a healthier life than the one I'm leading at the moment. It's what keeps me motivated during the day. Setting goals rules.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I agree that it was a good idea. :)
    It is really important to have goals in life since those goals can give a person motivation. That will push someone to work hard to save and attain something.
  9. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

The method you're adopting is no different from what psychologists call "classical conditioning." The process involves rewarding someone (if not yourself), usually a child, so that he will follow the kind of behavior the conditioner will want him to adopt. In your case, you set a goal but in exchange, you have to behave in a certain way so that the goal can be met.
  10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I think setting goals could be a good thing for you to recover faster, but it's not just intended for addicts, it could also be good for anyone who just wants to achieve something in their life.

As for me, right now, I'm working as hard as I can because I want to raise funds so I could support my studies in graduate school. I am seriously considering taking a Master's degree in Literature, and as soon as I have saved enough money, I would definitely send myself back to school again.
    Zyni likes this.
  11. vespid49

vespid49 Active Contributor

Goals are super important for anybody that wishes to progress. However, for the recovering individual, it can be even more rewarding, as you've articulated. I'm happy that you've managed to use goals as an avenue of recovery and I suggest it to anybody, anywhere. Feeling those progress steps will boost morale and self esteem, and you will have something to dedicate your mind to as well.
  12. Johnsnow123

Johnsnow123 Active Contributor

That's what saved me apart from my family. I became addicted because my mom became addicted and it hurt me. Ever since I got tooken away from her and put into a foster home, I always strived to... just achieve. I just wanted to achieve something because I felt as if I was worthless because I was addicted. I decided to start doing various sports and also started video gaming like you. It kept my mind away from my "dark side" and helped me look on the bright side of things. It helped me build more confidence in my self and made me feel like, "Oh, there actually is more to live for. I'm not going to waste my life on being an addict."
  13. 6up

6up Community Champion

Staying focused,maintaining a forward routine, and you will find yourself overcoming stress hence living a good life. Set time limits to govern your schedules and see a busy good day. Always remember to pray in the evening and plan for the following day.
  14. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

When you occupy your mind with productive things, it helps you forget to do drugs or other substance. Being productive and having goals keeps you away from idleness. This helps a lot in recovery.
  15. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

A routine is important or, better said, planning out the day. When we plan the day we don't leave space for the unexpected and that is very important to avoid consuming again.
  16. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Yes, yes, yes. If I don't have goals set for myself, I feel like I am just floating through life with no purpose and no accountability to anything. My goals these days are mainly fitness based. Even if it's a certain number of steps taken a day, I find that reaching for those goals gives me something to strive for.
  17. serenity

serenity Community Champion

My goals are both short term and long term. I have a few right now that are in the process of being done, and I eagerly look forward to it. The long term goals are the ones that's difficult to predict if they would come true, but it's worth a shot. The key to the success of your goals is to be motivated and consistent.
  18. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I always set long term goals and then break them down into short term goals that are easier to achieve. This way I always manage to reach my goals, even if it takes me longer than originally planned. I have to make allowance for everything not falling into place the way I planned because of unforseen events.
  19. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Setting goals is an awesome way to get things accomplish. However, many people just try to get to the big picture rather than starting small and working their way up to their main goal, and I feel like you have to start small and realistically.
  20. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

If there is nothing moving you forward, you are bound to backtrack. Ditractions can only last so long. Having goals will keep a person focused and motivated.