An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

He did it for me..

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by inlove08, May 5, 2015.

1. inlove08

inlove08 Member

My dad is my life. He is my everything. When I was younger I can remember the nights he would get really upset with us because we forgot to put his 6 beers in the freezer. Or when he would be really upset because he didn't have his cigarette. We didn't have a lot of money in my younger years but he always had to have his cigs and beer. He always smoked inside. He has been smoking and drinking for about 22 years At the age of 10 I started getting allergy attacks. I got it all, from swollen, watery eyes to constant sneezing. Slowly started having trouble breathing. At the age of 19 I couldn't take it any more so I decided to go to the doctors. I was told I had the lungs of a person that has been smoking for 20 years. When I told him that he began smoking outside. Then 3 months later he decided he didn't want to keep harming me so he quit. He took his cigarettes and trashed them that same night. About a month later he quit drinking. He dumped the beer down the drain. I am so proud of my dad. He has been clean for 7 years now. This shows that it is possible to stop when you truly want to. For some it may be harder but it is possible.
    stariie, pineywood, imperivm1 and 4 others like this.
  2. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

This an amazing story @inlove08! Amazing, because I admire your perseverance and sacrificial love for your father despite the difficulty you were going through. Your childlike faith and hope kept you all those years. I'm proud of your father, too. Maybe he'd like to share his amazing story of genuine love of a father to his child. Unselfishly, willingly and totally gave up his vice for his children's sake.

Yes, it is, indeed, possible. Thank you!
    inlove08 likes this.
  3. Rholm

Rholm Member

I'm very glad for you, inlove8! This shows that when choosing to quit for something you really care about, it's absolutely possible, and it just shows the depth of your father's love for you. Best of luck to you, and to your father!
  4. RHill

RHill Member

That is amazingly admirable of both you and your father. I'm sure it took a lot of courage to confront him and an equal amount for him to pack it in. You not only did yourself a favor, but your father as well. Inspiring.
  5. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Wow! I'm so touched by your story. It actually brought me to tears. Your father's love for you was the greatest factor for his reformation. I'm glad he was able to make that decision to change for your sake and his. This just shows how love can really move mountains and make even the almost impossible happen. I'm so happy for you. :)
  6. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Inlove8, I LOVE your story. Like you said, it speaks to the fact that you can quit if you have a good enough reason. I also agree that for some it still might not be easy but very possible. I hope you are doing well and that your message might be a source of encouragement for persons still struggling with any kind of addiction.
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
  7. serenity

serenity Community Champion

That's a good success story right there. I have always known that with enough discipline, people can make a change in their lives and they can overcome addiction without the help of rehab or a professional. Kudos to your dad for doing the right thing!
  8. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I enjoyed reading your story. However, I cannot gauge from these lines whether your dad should be considered a hero. After all, he was the one to blame for your lung problems. He should have been more careful. I can only put his behavior down to either negligence or ignorance. He did make amends and I do think this is admirable. It's just a shame that he had to wait all those years to realize that what he was doing wrong. I'm glad everything fell into place in the end, though. Congratulations.
  9. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

What a great story. Clearly, you getting sick was his "lightbulb moment", the moment when everything clicked in his head and he decided that things had to change. You must be so proud of him!
  10. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

I, too, loved your story about your dad and you. Thanks for sharing. I think, it would be easy for some to hold a grudge, but not you! You are proof that the love between a parent and child is indeed special. I hope that your lungs have healed.
  11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Wow, I can feel that your dad loves you and cares for your health and welfare that much. Such a great and responsible father you have.
  12. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

That's an awesome story, @inlove08! My dad was an alcoholic my whole life. While his drinking didn't affect me physically, it totally kicked my ass emotionally. I asked him so many times to stop drinking. So did my mother. And my brother and sisters. But he never did. So you should be thrilled that your dad gave up smoking and drinking for you. It's funny. When my son was addicted to drugs, my wife and I both were social drinkers. In a family therapy session at my son's second rehab, the therapist told us to be the change we wanted to see in our son. In other words, if we wanted our son to stop self-medicating, then we should do the same. So we did. We gave up drinking to set an example for our boy. And our younger son, too. In September it will be seven years since my wife and I took our last drink. Moral of the story? Sometimes love is way more powerful than alcohol or drugs. Thanks so much for sharing with us!
  13. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

What a good story. I am really happy for you and your family that things turned for the better. And I really admire that you don't harbor any hard feelings towards your dad for making you suffer and ill for many years. It shows that there is a lot of love and understanding in your family and, no doubt, this overall feeling would have also helped your dad to quit so easily. He knows how very precious you are, and how short life can be.
  14. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

I think this story is quite a common one. A lot of people quit smoking or drinking once or soon after their children are born. This is also an example of the 'higher power' in AA.
  15. stariie

stariie Community Champion

This is a great story and a good testament to how much your dad loves you. I'm quite sure that he already knew that smoking is bad for his health, but that wasn't enough to stop him, but when he found out it was harming you, then he stopped. That's really a great love.
  16. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@drc52... It might be a common story, but I wish it was even more common. A lot of people don't quit smoking or drinking after they have kids, and the kids end up suffering. In addition to being aware of what harm their habits may be doing to their kids, parents need to set a good example for their kids. Parents are the ultimate role model.
  17. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

I agree, I wish more parents would do this. Although I know several people who never started smoking because their parents smoked, this works both ways. There is also the issue of how much harm it is doing, if a parent goes outside to smoke a cigarette twice a day there is very little harm done.
    deanokat likes this.
  18. Domen

Domen Active Contributor

That's a wonderful and inspirational story. I'm so proud of you and your dad. The decision to give up smoking and drinking is really difficult and hard to obey for most people but your dad had a really serious reason to do it. I hope your lungs are gonna replenish over time because you were the innocent victim who was stuck in this situation. I understand your dad, I'm just heartbroken because of the tool it had on you. :(
    Femiluv likes this.
  19. Femiluv

Femiluv Active Contributor

What an inspiration story! Thank you for sharing. I think this gives a lot of hope to many folks out there like me who longs for the day our loved ones will overcome their addictions. I can only hope...

I also hope you are doing better healthwise.
  20. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Man, I'm so sorry to hear about your lungs condition! So very sorry! Mine aren't in a good condition either because of my parents as well. I'm glad you are not mad at all at your dad for smoking indoors all that time. Kudos to you! I hope you and your dad have a very happy life. You deserve it! Also congrats to your dad for quitting smoking and drinknig so fast! This goes to show that when there is will there is always a way!