An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

He Found A Reason

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by gracer, Aug 10, 2015.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

My uncle, the youngest among 5 siblings used to be a cocaine addict. He has gone to rehab several times but whenever he got out, he would still return to his addiction and sometimes added alcohol with it. He suffered with his addiction most of his life and we thought he never had any chance of ever changing at all.

Until one day he met a woman who would become his reason for turning his life around. To make the story short, they're married now and are happily living together in their apartment. He has never returned to abusing drugs or alcohol. He and his new found inspiration may not have the chance to bear children anymore because the wife not of child-bearing age anymore but at least they have each other.

My uncle who has always been fond of photography finally pursued his passion, so every time I would bump unto him, he always had a camera in hand.

His story is a perfect example that it's never too late to change and choose a life of sobriety when you find your inspiration and passion to change. I hope his story could inspire others who think there's no way out because of the time they have spent in addiction. No matter how long you have been addicted, there's always hope for you. Never give up!
  2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Wow, your uncle's story is touching and encouraging indeed because he did not only was able to stop being addicted, but life rewarded with a well-deserved happiness for making the wise decision, as we hope many more people struggling with alcohol, tobacco and drugs today find the inspiration to come back here to say "I was also able to do it and life is good to me again" :)
    deanokat and gracer like this.
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Wow. That's absolutely great to hear. And I totally agree with what you have said, anyone is capable of changing themselves for the better specially if they are surrounded with people who truly love them and support their every endeavor in life. If you ever find a person who always sticks by your side and brings out the best in you, keep them and never let them go.
    gracer likes this.
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

What a beautiful story. I am so glad that your uncle was able to find a woman who inspired him to get his life clean. She must be one amazing lady. That is what love should do, it should bring out the best in people and not the worst. She brought them though his darkest days and showed him how wonderful life could be. I am so happy for both of them. Their story is truly inspirational. Thank you for sharing it with us. You must be so very proud!
    gracer likes this.
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Great story of inspiration and hope, @gracer! Thanks for sharing! People should never, ever give up!
    gracer likes this.
  6. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I love your last sentence dyanmarie! :) It is hard to find the right kind of person who would love and stick with you all throughout the toughest times so when you finally find that person, cherish him/her and never let him/her go. My uncle's story is indeed one of the few stories of finding true love amidst all the chaos of life. I hope more people would also find the right people in their lives to inspire and drive them towards a better life.
    deanokat and dyanmarie25 like this.
  7. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

That's very inspiring and encouraging, full of hope. I been there too, I been in pain where it's not necessarily substances and I was addicted but I got through it, anyone can, just believe in your family, in yourself, don't lose hope and insult yourself.
    deanokat, dyanmarie25 and gracer like this.
  8. dyanmarie25

I am happy to know that you have already overcame such issues in life. And yes, self-pitying would not do you any good, rather, learn to stand up again and embrace your whole being, even your flaws and shortcomings.
    gracer and deanokat like this.
  9. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

Thank you, you're absolutely right. I had a lot of self pity, but it is not a good position to be in because we can breakthrough, the truth of the matter is that life isn't just about our consciousness but it's about everyone in it, love one another, and if I love others, I do not want to harm myself because I want to offer myself as a sacrifice for them, such an inspiration to me from the bible.
    deanokat likes this.
  10. dyanmarie25

Wow. You really have compassion towards other people. That's great to hear! And it seems like you are also willing to help out those people in the best of your abilities. Stay kind and you will be blessed. :)
    deanokat likes this.
  11. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Our positive motivation, great aspirations and inspirations in life are all the things that will really change our past mistakes in our life. I am happy that your Uncle had find an inspiration to this woman that had change his life. This only shows that for every storm we had encountered in our life it is never too late to continue to experience the beauty of life while we are still living in this world.