An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

He said, "I'd rather have a doctor on coke than a drunk or stoned doctor"

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by bluedressed, Dec 29, 2014.

1. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

My partner had a time in his life where he was putting money together with friends every second Friday to buy around 80 bucks of cocaine. Liked the feeling. Did not feel addict, but from what it sounds, I think I would have not liked to be with a person like he described (he talked of the feeling of self-confidence which, nice, but also of their "dogs", guys who wanted in and were running every errands!)

He also said that for what it did, it made you very focused. It reminded me of how my uncle would waste time away, then do coke and build a complete washroom in a day, perfectly made.

That's why he said, if he had to be operated, he'd rather want the doctor to be coked than drunk or stoned. According to him, most doctors are because how else could they stay focused on these very long shifts?

Thoughts? What kind of influence would you rather people in charge of important stuff be on, if you had to choose (between the commonly known as hard and addictive coke, the illegal but mostly harmless weed, and the legal but ultimately devastating alcohol?)
  2. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

If I absolutely had to choose, I would also choose cocaine. What people don't realize is that cocaine isn't like it is portrayed in the movies. In most cases, it isn't going to make you so energetic that you're bouncing off the walls and yelling at people. It is actually incredibly underwhelming and clear-headed. I would probably be much more precise with minor hand movements in surgery while on cocaine than if I were drunk or high. My reaction time would also be much better.
  3. weirdcatlady

weirdcatlady Member

I disagree... The effects differ from person to person and how much they use at a time and their tolerance and how long they have used... It does make you alert but after a while leads to paranoia... If this doctor gives shots, dies stitches, or surgery, he may be shaky if he does enough... I'd rather not go to the hospital at all than have a doctor on coke... This coming from a cokehead
  4. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Interesting point, weirdcatlady. How would you feel about knowing that politicians use coke? I've heard that in some of the Parliament bathrooms (not in the US, but who knows how it is there), they discovered a large amount of trace residue of coke in the air!
  5. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

You're right, but I was under the assumption that we weren't talking about a cocaine addict with a high tolerance, years of use, and paranoia. I figured the OP was asking the question at a much more basic level.
  6. weirdcatlady

weirdcatlady Member

Still, your mind races when you do coke and I Dont think you can make rational decisions especially when someone's life is in your hands
  7. weirdcatlady

weirdcatlady Member

I have nothing against recreational use as long as you are not making life or death decisions. When you do coke you are easily excitable, jumpy, (too) quick to react, etc...
  8. Sarah

Sarah Member

I personally wouldn't want anyone under the influence of any drug to have their life in my hands. Different substances affect different people in different ways so there is no telling who would be the best person to make life or death decisions under the influence of which substance. But I know which one I would rule out totally and that would be alcohol.
  9. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Preferably, the doctor would be clean and sober! I'd choose a coked-up doctor over one who was drunk or stoned any day though. Cocaine offers a certain amount of mental focus and clarity, where as alcohol just turns you into a gibbering mess. As for a stoned doctor, would the actually get anything done? I'd be concerned about the effects on memory too.
  10. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

Obviously I would want my doctor to be clear headed and sober but I have to agree with your boyfriend. I tried coke a few times and found that it made me feel alert like I had a few cups of coffee and focussed. Too much can backfire and make you go bonkers obviously but yeah it's known to be the business mans drug. I never saw the big hype myself but I guess if you want to get high at work it's the drug of choice.