An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Headaches when drinking alcohol?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Andorphin, Feb 1, 2016.

1. thash1979

thash1979 Active Contributor

I am not a drinker at all. Matter of fact, the last time I had more than a taste or sip of a drink, would probably be around 20 years ago. My husband likes to get some alcohol every once in a while and is always asking me to taste it. No matter what the drink, after a couple sips I feel like my head is too going to explode. I have always gotten a headache, even if it was just a couple drinks. I have no clue why it happens. My hubby always says he never has gotten a headache. It could be a big reason why I never had the desire to drink.
  2. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I used to get these, but only when I drank draft beer at dive bars.
    Came to learn that it was because the lines were really dirty.
  3. Charlie Black

Charlie Black Member

Yes. This was always a big problem to me before i realized the trick. It is a normal feeling to people who take beer. The trick it to drink lots of water before you take your alcoholic drink. This also prevents you from breaking down every time.
  4. johnyork

johnyork Active Contributor

Alcohol has similar effect on me. I think it's not worth it to drink. It is so much better when you remember everything the next day :p. Yours could have been an allergy or it was just your body telling you that it didn't agree with you. Even way its a good thing.
  5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I used to have some headaches from time to time but I don't think they were related to drinking. Anyway, most likely you have an allergy to alcohol or a substance from a drink. It's probably a blessing in disguise, since your body isn't able to tolerate alcohol, so not that bad overall.
  6. mikelouis

mikelouis Member

I would stay away from liquor if I were you. Well, I only get the headaches as part of hangovers not when am drinking. That is quite rare to see someone having your condition. Ensure that you get more professional help from a doctor to understand what the problem is all about.
  7. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Usuаlly thе bоdy rеspоnds tо siсknеss by shоwing mоrе thаn оnе sign, think аbоut оthеr symptоm yоu mаy hаvе hаppеning. Dо yоu hаvе а pаttеrn оf things gоing оn yоu саn tеll yоur dосtоr аbоut оr is thеrе а spесifiс bоdy systеm invоlvеd (lungs, hеаrt, stоmасh, jоints, musсlеs) mоrе thаn аnоthеr. Аrе yоu еxpеriеnсing аnything diffеrеnt suсh аs unusuаlhеаdасhеs(оthеr thаn whаt yоu'vе sаid), unusuаl pаins, wеаknеss, numbnеss, diffiсulty urinаting, kidnеypаin, night swеаts, еtс.
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Breaking out is not normal, it sounds like you might have an allergy to it. That is good because that means you have no other choice but to stop drinking. There is a chance there is an ingredient in the beer you are allergic to, you should avoid beer now just to make sure. Those symptoms you mentioned are not normal.
  9. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

Basically, alcohol inhibits the ADH (antidiuretic hormone) and you dehydrate easily. This is why you get headaches after consuming alcohol.
  10. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

You might be allergic to what's in the beer. It could be the barley that's in it or something. Have you ever had this experience with any other alcohol? I have never had this happen to me before.
  11. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Headaches are common if you have taken too much alcohol the previous day. Whenever I drank too much alcohol, I would have terrible headaches the following days. If I drank too much on Friday, I had to sleep the entire Friday. This was the reason why I began to limit my alcohol intake. Now, I am only a social drinker.
  12. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

Well I certainly had a lot of headaches when I was drinking, but that was really the least of my problems. I did find that staying hydrated really did seem to solve all of the problems that I had with issues like that though, so if I had to recommend anything I would say just make sure that you are drinking a lot of water.
  13. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I would guess it's mostly an allergy if you are experiencing headaches while drinking. You may be allergic to whatever the alcohol is made of. Breakouts of the skin would be a tell-tale sign of an allergy or some type of intolerance.
  14. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

It definitely sounds like an allergy.

I never had that problem, but for some reason when I drink, no matter how much it is, I always get a strong pain in my left shoulder in the beginning. It's always been that way.
  15. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

It is probably connected with something else. I never heard that someone had headache while drinking and to be sure it was from drinking. It is usually the hangover that gives the headaches of course. It is good for you because you probably don't fancy drinking too much after this happening to you. Personally I never had that kind of sensation.
  16. monty

monty Active Contributor

I think you should ones confirm with the doctor because I don't think that Headaches appear after minutes of drinking and I also don't have any yet.So, in my opinion, you should have check up ones to confirm what's wrong with you.