An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Heightened senses.

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Joethefirst, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

When someone stops smoking your body will return to a healthy state. This means that your blood flows better and you get a great many perks from it, your taste and smell return, you breath better and your hands and feet don't get as cold. This starts almost immediately after quitting smoking.
    Do you think that this can be a bit overwhelming and that most attempts fail because people feel as if they are not in there own bodies anymore?
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

When a person stops smoking, after a few days they will find that their sense of taste and smell will increase, and it is a bit of a shock to be honest.

If a person as been smoking for a number of years, they just get used to how their senses react and so when they stop it does take some getting used to.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

When I quit smoking I found the return of my sense of taste to be one of the most wonderful things ever. I was so amazed at how great food tasted again. :)
    MichelleVL and kassie1234 like this.
  4. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think heightened senses comes from being in good health. Of course your taste will return because you don't have the cigarette taste in your mouth any more. If your blood circulates better you will have more energy, because energy is supposed to flow not be stagnant. I think this makes a lot of sense.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Totally agree! I remember walking past a bakery in my city a few weeks after I had quit smoking - and that delicious fresh bread smell was so good! My sense of both smell and taste got progressively better and better after quitting smoking, and I wouldn't say it was overwhelming, more so just amazing!
    deanokat likes this.
  6. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Really? Lol They might go into shock to realize that this is how food is supposed to taste. Most of these addictions you can buy in the store make people feel completely inhuman. Cigarettes, coffee, alcohol, and so on. I think it might be the other way around they've been dumping garbage into their bodies for so long and feeling inhuman that they haven't felt what it was like to actually taste something to the fullest extent or know what its like to be without their fixes. When they do finally come off they are in complete realization of what they were doing to themselves.
  7. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I actually loved the fact that my senses were more sensitive after I quit smoking. I don't see how this could be a bad or frightening thing. Feeling like a normal person and knowing the actual taste and smell of things is a wonderful gift. I was afraid I could never recover it.
  8. Leanna_Jeanne

Leanna_Jeanne Member

The ability to smell and increased sense of taste was one of my favorite things about quitting smoking! If anything, I think it was more motivation for me to not smoke.
  9. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

I am actually still a smoker, but when I can endure more than 10-14 hours without smoking I can already feel the difference in my sense of smell and taste. Where I notice it more is in the sense of taste. In regards to my sense of smell it feels as if when I smoke, I'm like hitting an off switch with the cigarettes and I stop smelling the good along with the bad.
  10. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

I don't think this has anything to do with the high rate of relapse on nicotine. Honestly the return of my sense of taste and smell is one of the big things that got me through those first couple tough weeks. I ate lots of good food and treated myself to some new perfume and body products and those things relaxed me and distracted me from my cravings! There is a lot going on in the mind when giving up any substance, let alone the 100s of chemicals in cigarettes, so any distraction is a good thing.
  11. ChaseHayden

ChaseHayden Member

I've quit on and off for years. As of late, I don't buy packs anymore, and I smoke them rarely, after just a few days the senses start coming back to their keen nature, and it's to say, this is only great news! It makes you feel part of your body if anything, it makes you feel wonderful. These addictions are onslaughts against our bodies, and eventually emotions.
  12. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

Most people struggle for many years to quit smoking... and the sole fruition they get is to smoke more, unhappily for them. Nevertheless, I don't see why someone would start smoking again once their senses fully recover. I mean... tasting food like you were once able to do surely must be quite pleasant, right? :D
  13. Ally

Ally Member

It's very pleasurable to wake up one day and realize you feel more human than you have in years... oddly, though, that didn't prevent me from taking up smoking again a few months ago. Maybe subconsciously I was trying to numb my senses for some reason. The nature of addiction is like that... you know you feel better and lead a happier, healthier life without it, but somehow that knowledge doesn't prevent you from doing it. It's not logical at all. So yeah, I think it's possible that your heightened senses could surprise you into smoking again... because that has no logic whatsoever.
  14. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I think the opposite, that if you can get to that place where your sense come back it can make it an incentive to quit.
    But the worst was after cessation I could smell the stank of smoke on certain things, like my couch or jacket.
    Took a good few months to get that smell out of my stuff.
  15. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I agree with most of the other comments above. Having those senses come back to you is usually quite a pleasant and refreshing experience. It makes you feel more alive again. The worst part about it is definitely being able to smell tobacco smoke on others. Once you've quit yourself, it smells disgusting on other people.
  16. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

My fiance is having the hardest time trying to quit smoking because he has been smoking for so long :( Almost 12 years, so I think at this point this is more an habit than anything else to be honest. He often says he smokes out of boredom, I'd actually prefer him to eat instead of smoking. I'm currently reading the Allen Carr book in hopes I might find something useful.
  17. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I think it's more refreshing than overwhelming, and it was definitely a change which I enjoyed. When I used to smoke I used to always feel unhealthy, tired and lazy. Ever since I quit I regained control over my body, and it feels awesome!
  18. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

I don't think anybody has failed to quit because they feel better for not smoking; they generally fail to quit because they feel worse. Cravings are the main culprit here, and cravings do not make you feel good!
  19. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

Good to hear someone else who managed to quit his addiction! Great thing you shared with us, man! Hopefully you will never go back to this horrendous addiction, but it looks to me you're not really down to going back since you realize it's a counterproductive pastime. :D
  20. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Definitely, I'm not looking back, haha! I'm too far forward to relapse, now I just have to aim higher and higher. Everything is possible as long as you believe in yourself! I plan to travel around the world one day, it's gonna be awesome!