An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Hello from the Land of Lincoln

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by aimeep80, Nov 25, 2014.

1. aimeep80

aimeep80 Senior Contributor

Hey all. I'm new to the forum and am looking forward to talking to others. I'm a 34 year old happily married "house wife" from Southern Illinois. Married to my high school sweetie for 14 years and we have been together for almost 18 years. My husband is a recovering addict. He has been clean for 3 years. His drug of choice was opiates. He also took up drinking while trying to stop taking the pain pills. Just added another addiction.

Anyway, thankfully he is clean now and is on the right path. I love him so much and am glad he got help. It was hard for him and for me as well because of all the things that addiction made him do. I'm looking forward to maybe helping other family members or spouses of addicts and/or alcoholics by lending an ear or a comforting word. Warm hugs to all!
    -A
    rabst likes this.
  2. rabst

rabst Active Contributor

Warmly hugging back; Welcome!

Might I ask what technique/strategy your husband used to finally get himself clean (or would that 'jinx' it :D)?

You mentioned that he took up drinking to try to get off the pain-pills (or was that just 'something he took up WHILE doing whatever else to get off the pills'?) Did he take up a 'good' addiction to replace the bad one? Reading the Bible instead of popping another pill, maybe?
  3. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

Welcome to the forum! Based from your post, I can sense that you are really happy now. That's great to hear and I hope that he won't go back to using drugs again. I'm sure that you'll be able to help a lot of people who have been in the same situation as you were.
  4. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Welcome here and congratulations for your husband for being on the right path! Also, it's wonderful to see there are still people who get in love in high school and stay on the way all their life.
  5. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Greetings aimeep80,

Thanks for sharing your story with us and I'm glad to know your husband was able to stop his addiction. It's good people like you are willing to give their time to help others in need, and I hope you can change someone's life on this forum.
  6. Onionman

Onionman Active Contributor

Welcome to the site and I'm sure you'll get a lot of benefit out of it.

He's certainly lucky to have a loving partner like yourself to provide the support he needed. That's half the battle for a lot of people - having someone there for them. Keep up the good work!