An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Hello from the land of the midnight sun!

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Friele, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Friele

Friele Member

Hello to you all!
    I share my story with a lot of people , that abuse has been more or less dominant in my family through decades , long before I was even born.
    It has effected me and my family in a number of ways, not least to the point that alcohol and pills have rendered my uncle a babbling psychotic menace to his close family.
    Coming from the northern parts of Scandinavia, alcohol is a big part of culture, as well as nicotine in all its various forms.
    I have however long since kicked the nicotine addiction, although I at rare moments will enjoy a cigar.
    As young and very much a rebel I have "tried it all" to some extent, and not least seen it all wreck friends and family.
    So there you have a little glimpse from my life.
  2. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

Hello, Friele! Well, at least you're not addicted to nicotine anymore. But, I'm a bit concerned. You've mentioned that you "tried it all," do you mean using substance? Are you still using substance up until now? I hope you don't mind me asking.
  3. Friele

Friele Member

No, I don't mind you asking at all.
    No , in my teens I did try almost anything once or twice, but not really liking the effects on my brain or body it never trailed into anything serious, although I did hang and use some for a few months in my teens.
    The only thing I used more was marijuana , but not on a regular basis and only if in a setting that I might like to try, but as it never really give me anything good, I usually just get light headache or slightly sick. I guess I am lucky like that, or just lucky in the fact that I like my brain to be working normally most of the time.
  4. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Yeah, I also didn't carry on with a lot of things because of their ill effects on me and my health, in general. For example, I used to smoke when I was younger but only when we had to go to bars and late nights out. It made me a little groggy when I puffed more than two in a night so I kept it at that. But I didn't really like to get the habit so I stopped. Besides, my boyfriend who is now my husband doesn't smoke. It would be embarrassing if I do. Coffee, I drink just a cup a day and rarely two cups because I get palpitations and edgy. I also have a hard time getting some sleep so I don't.

It is a good thing you've long gotten rid of your nicotine addiction Friele, considering your family's background on substance abuse. You'll be a good example to them and even to others. Helping them get rid of their addiction by making them realize that it does no good at all. Or even before they start with a substance, making others think like you do can perhaps be very helpful to stop them early on.
  5. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Well, congratulations, in my opinion is good to try a lot of things and kick them out, this way you are more experienced when it comes about addictive substances. This way you shall know when to kick them out if anyone propose them to you.
  6. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

Welcome aboard my dear and do feel at home. I have always wondered how persons smoke much less get so addicted to weed and cigars. The very taste is despicable to me, glad to hear you broke the addiction though.