An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Hello, this is my story...

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Johnsnow123, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Johnsnow123

Johnsnow123 Active Contributor

Hi, so anyways, I had a rough childhood. My dad left me with my mom and that started to plant depression in both me and my mom. My mom started to drink and smoke and it was killing her. She started to have issues with her kidneys. I was so sad that I didn't know what to do at all. I couldn't help her because I was just around 11 year old at the time. I hated seeing my mom like that. It was horrible and I became stressed. She abused me and said horrible things about me. The drugs really hurt her bad and so it hurt me. I started doing drugs and drinking at the young age of 14! I stole her cigarettes and drinks and thought things would get better. It only got worse I got tooken away by Child Protective Services at around 15 years of age and was put into a foster home. I was so depressed still but was now with an amazing family. I owe my life to my foster family, because they saved me. I'm now living a healthy life with my wonderful girlfriend in my apartment! :)
  2. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I'm glad it all worked out for the best! I wouldn't wish anyone the childhood you've had, though. You appear to be a tough boy who doesn't give up, no matter what. The wonderful foster family you became a part of was definitely a blessing in disguise. Sometimes the people who adopted you can be much more supportive than your biological family ever was.
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I'm glad to know that you grew up to be just fine, thanks to your foster family. How is your relationship with your mom now? I hope you have reached out to her even if she treated you badly.
  4. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

It's always good to hear stories of success here when so many are going through tough times. Your story is inspiring and I wish you the best of luck in all you do. Keep it up!
  5. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Everything happens for a good reason. Life may have given you a few bad cards but it all went well in the end. You're lucky because you get to be in a home that brings out the best in you. Not everyone gets that opportunity. I wish you the best in all your endeavors. You are in the right path so just carry on.
  6. Thestoryteller1

Thestoryteller1 Active Contributor

It's great you've finally gotten things together and you're happier! I know how it feels when you've gone through a lot and you need to learn how to be healthy, even in a good place. I'm glad you've gotten your life together. Good luck on your journey! You weren't supposed to have childhood like that, but hey, we're all human, and we all get lost. Every second person I've met has went through one thing or another, big things. I guess part of growing up is learning to find your way and find your own happiness regardless of circumstances.
  7. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

Wow, you seem to be so positive about everything and that is wonderful, I am so happy for you that everything has worked out for you in the end and that what has happened to you seems to be well and truly in the past. I really admire you appreciative attitude and hope everything continues down a good path!
  8. Johnsnow123

I'm not sure where my biological mother is or if she's even alive right now. I wish I could see her again even though it's pretty hard.
    stariie likes this.
  9. Johnsnow123

Thank you guys for all the support! Things are going great and I'm heading down the right path, I just hope I don't slip off and go a different direction. I really appreciate everything you guys have said and I want you guys to know that itt made me happier and gave me hope. Thank you Thank you Thank you.
    stariie likes this.
  10. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

I'm happy that things turned out alright for you. You don't know how many people with similar situations to yours end up severely impaired or damaged due to their childhood experiences. You are quite lucky, my friend, to have found such great foster parents. I hope you help out the people in this forum who need help and are seeking it, too. you have the experience to back up your advice.
    stariie likes this.
  11. Christian

Christian DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

It's so great to hear stories such as yours that despite the obvious set backs you experienced in your childhood that your on a good path in life. Im sorry to hear that your mother is still out there and suffering. I know that must be tough for you. Your foster family sounds like such a blessing and Im happy that you have them in your life. It just goes to show that the family were sometimes obliged to call our own can come from anywhere.
  12. Johnsnow123

Thank you, I always try to reach out to people in need especially after all what I've been through. Yes, I am extremely lucky to have a great family and I appreciate that every single day. :)
    stariie and Christian like this.
  13. serenity

If you haven't seen your mom ever since you were taken away from her, then that's just sad. I hope her condition didn't get worse as time went by. I hope that you guys will be reunited again in the future. Anyway, keep up the clean life!
    Johnsnow123 likes this.
  14. Johnsnow123

Once again, thanks for your support! I hope everyday that she is very well and doesn't have any problems in the future. I also hope to see her one day because it's been forever.
    stariie likes this.
  15. serenity

Do you intend to visit your old hometown in the future so that you can get to see your mom again?
  16. Johnsnow123

Sorry for the long wait for me to answer but, I have been to my hometown plenty of times but I am not sure of where her locations are. She's not at our/my old house I was living with her in as a child/teen, an old neighbor of ours said that she moved out when I was visiting my old neigborhood. It's like this complete mystery.
  17. serenity

@Johnsnow123, Ah, so it's like she disappeared into thin air, and you have no means to contact her anymore. If her kidneys were failing back then, then I wonder if she's still alive until now. My mom died of kidney failure too, and having failing kidneys is like a sure death sentence.
  18. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

How wonderful that you encountered people who helped you overcome a really rough time, and who gave you a strong foundation and new start in life. Not everyone is that lucky. In fact, where I live there is no such thing as foster care. if you have trouble at home, you might be lucky enough to be taken in by a family member but only if they can afford to look after you financially.
    It's great to know that after a hard start you received the help that you needed.
  19. Johnsnow123

@serenity Most likely but I always hope she is safe and healthy. I'm sorry to hear that about your mom. The horrible things that can happen to your body.. May she rest in peace forever.
  20. Johnsnow123

Thank you. I guess I got pretty lucky and I pity the other people who are still going through the same situation as me in my childhood. I'm sorry to hear that there is no foster care in your area. It is truly a life saver.
    stariie likes this.