An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Hello.

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by MzHansan, Sep 16, 2015.

1. MzHansan

MzHansan Member

My Name is Miles, I'm 19, so compared to a lot of other posters I'm quite young. I do think I'm "wise beyond my years" as my grandmother would put it. Despite my struggle with drugs, I would describe myself as a very happy and lively individual. I go to school (I think it's what you call "college" in the states) and hang out with my friends, and most people I tell my story to have a hard time imagining that I was ever a substance abuser.

I come from a "broken" household, in the sense that my father and mother would abuse me, repeatedly, in my younger years, mostly verbally, but occasionally it turned physical aswell. I started drinking heavily when I was about 15, but I couldn't buy beer legally until I turned 16, and I still couldn't buy liquor legally until I turned 18 a year and a half ago. I started using cocaine when I was about 17, and used it habitually until 6-ish months ago, so you could say that I'm still very much feeling the effects.

I had a... I guess you could call it "uncomfortable" to put it lightly, experience 6 months ago, and it caused me to be diagnosed with schizotypical personality disorder, as well as mild posttraumatic stress disorder. This all caused me to quit both cocaine and alcohol cold turkey (Is that really what it's called? That's a wierd expression). Anyway, I haven't touched cocaine since, and although it's hard, I don't plan to ever go near the stuff again.

I've recently started to go to clubs a bit with my friends (That is legal here in Denmark, from when you're 18, so don't worry: I'm not doing anything illegal) although being a student has me strapped for cash, so it's not something I do that often. I don't struggle with alcohol at all anymore, and I don't have a problem with holding back. For that I am truly, truly greatful, as it is a very large part of youth culture in Denmark to go out drinking with your friends.

Any way, that was a bit about me and my background. I'm looking forward to learning more about you guys!
    Thanks for reading! Also, feel free to correct me if there were any mistakes or things you didn't understand. English is, as I'm sure you can imagine, not my first language.
    deanokat, Jenga and pineywood like this.
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Hi and welcome to the group. I am glad that you found us here. Your English is really very good and there were no problems understanding what you wrote. Thank you for sharing your story with us. You sound very mature and yes "wise beyond your years" for your age. Well done on getting clean. That is a huge accomplishment. I am glad that you are getting help for the disorders you were diagnosed with. I am sorry that you had such a rough childhood but you seem to have your life in good order now. I look forward to hearing more about you. Your story is so inspiring and will help others!
    deanokat likes this.
  3. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Welcome. I'm glad you found this board. There are lots of good, supportive people here.

Your English is great. I had no trouble understanding what you wrote.

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, but I'm very happy that you've decided that you can have a better life. One day at a time. It does get better.
    deanokat likes this.
  4. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

Extending another welcome to you, Miles!

Not only is your use of the English language great, so is your success story! I hope you realize that you experience is going to inspire so many other people!

I can understand how scary and serious it was for you to have an episode that spiraled into a diagnosis of a a personality disorder along with a mild post traumatic stress disorder. But as you point out, this caused you to stop using drugs and alcohol.

You know what? Yeah, I am sure you already know that what you did is a BIG DEAL! Sometimes this causes people to get more deeply into destructive behavior, yet you choose to take productive steps to ensure you own well-being.

I hope you continue to post on this forum! You have a lot to offer. Oh yeah, ones age does not make someone more or less of an authority on a subject; such as drugs and alcohol. Addictions can happen to anyone, at anytime.
    deanokat likes this.
  5. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Miles, a warm welcome to you. As a parent, it saddens me when I hear of the experiences son kids have to endure. Happily you are now in a better place, Grandparents usually have a great eye of wisdom:):). If you didn't tell me about English not being your first language I would not have known. Continue to do well and " keep your head on" as we say here in my country. As a parent, I would quietly caution not to let the clubbing get out of hand. It's costly and very tempting where substance abuse is concerned.
    deanokat likes this.
  6. Jenga

Jenga Active Contributor

Hey Miles, welcome to the club :p! Your story was really great, I'm glad things are working out well for you!
    I'm in the same age bracket as you are (just in my early 20's), and I've had a pretty bad relationship with alcohol myself. It's good to know that you've been able to get out of it's grip (Although, for health reasons, it might be a good idea to stop altogether, but if you feel you're safe with it, then who am I to judge ;) ).
    deanokat likes this.
  7. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@MzHansan... Welcome to our community and thanks so much for sharing your inspirational story. I'm really happy that you were able to quit the alcohol and cocaine. Doing so at such an early age is a great achievement, and you should be incredibly proud of yourself. Keep doing the next right thing, Miles. I'm wishing many, many more years of sobriety for you!
  8. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

@MzHansan .. Hello and thank you for sharing your story with us. All of us we really do not know what life is ahead of us in this world. It just happened that at a very young age you had experienced already the hard times in your life. You had a broken family which I knew makes your life worst and gives you depression. But I am glad despite of this you are able to quit from your addiction. The early the better and I am praying you will recover fast. Don't worry you are still young and many good things will still come your way in your life. Keep being motivated!
    deanokat likes this.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Hello there @MzHansan! Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your story to us here. Well, I am totally happy that you are now getting better in life. I hope to hear more from you sooner or later. Your English is also great. :)

Best of luck in everything you do!
    deanokat likes this.