An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Hello!

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by nessarconde, Jan 6, 2015.

1. nessarconde

nessarconde Member

Hi everyone!

My name is Vanessa, I'm 24 years old and live in Portugal. I recently finished college and I'm looking for a job (just the same as many others).
    For many years, I remained a careless college student. I cared about my grades, making my parents proud and have a nice, comfortable job at the end of it. And now I can see just how blind I was. Being jobless, back at my parents' house, without having much to do all day, I began to really think and look at the world around me.
    There are so many people suffering, so many problems that I remained oblivious of. And, although I cannot complain about my own life, there are currently people near me stuggling with alcohol addiction. And it's really horrible. To want to help, but to feel powerless and useless, as you watch people you care about drowing in a self-destruction, addiction pool.
    I joined this forum so I can learn more about this subject, so I can try and help someone, even if just a little.
    Please believe me when I say, you are not alone. There are people who care and will do their very best to get to know you, the real you, and help in any way they can.

My best regards to everyone. :)
    TommyVercetti likes this.
  2. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

Welcome, Vanessa. The forum is a good source to become familiar with substance abuse and people who are in recovery, are seeking help to recovery as well as those affected by its use beit family or friends. Hopefully you've visited other forums, specifically the ones you are interested in. We look forward to hearing your thoughts and any questions you may have.
  3. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Hi Vanessa! Welcome. I understand your drive, I've done the same, visiting forums and websites, trying to find as much info as possible to convince my loved ones that they had so much to gain from stopping. It did not work at first... which is why I wish you a lot of faith and patience, and a lot of strength! Do your best, and I wish you the best.
  4. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Hi Vanessa. Welcome. I feel like you have come to the right place. Like you I joined the forum in the hope of being able to find information and tools that put me in a position to help others. I am surrounded by some who have fallen victim to the snares of abuse but I am not prepared to give up on any of them.

I believe strongly in what appears below on this page. "It's not too late to turn your life around" and that applies to all of us no matter what we may be facing. Welcome again.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

That's the right kind of attitude Miss Vanessa. We live in a world where no one cares about their neighbor or anyone else in general. It's a "me," "me" world. That you desire to learn how you can help others is great and I wish you the best in your endeavor.

And trust me, you are in the right place. There's much you can learn here on the site.
  6. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

In a sense, it is amazing that even though you are surrounded by so many people in distress, you remained strong enough to convince yourself that you shouldn't take the same path they've taken. The truth, however, is that you can only offer them a listening ear and nothing else. Most of them won't heed to strangers' advice. But if you see that there's a chance you can make a change, go for it. They'd be thankful in the end.
  7. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

We're glad to have you Vanessa. It's admirable that you came looking for help because of someone you care about instead of yourself. It's very rare. Anyway, dig around in the forums and you'll find everything you need and a lot of resources to help you with your problem. Good luck.