An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Help Exist?

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by Filip12, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Filip12

Filip12 Member

How can be made helps 30 Years Daughter from addiction Meth ? I was hoping she will stop if she will be with her daughter... not that’s not happening, just opposite way. I pushed her go to treatment she rather leave parents house and kid asking about her mam. Very hard to explain absence, this is going for 4 Years. I try educating myself about , but can’t find way out! Talked to police, psycholog, social workers , advice : let her fall down and then can be helped... that’s is more cruelly than I ever think!!! What and who can help bring Daughter and mother back from this tragedy! She was alway smartest in class, sport , talented ....
  2. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Filip12

Hello and welcome. I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter. Addiction can certainly be a monster and can steal children away from us. I wish I had some magical answer for you as to how you can get her back. It can be quite disheartening to watch a loved one suffer so much.

Unfortunately, we can only do so much. Chances are she will have to hit her rock bottom and then really truly want to get free and make the effort for treatment. In the meantime, your journey will be to learn how you can best be supportive, not enabling, and taking care of yourself. It's easy to get so caught up in the addiction that you lose sight of taking care of you, going crazy in the meantime.

Have you ever attended a support group for loved ones of addicts? This is something that may be able to help you learn how you can best support her. There is Al-Anon and nar-anon. Or maybe working one-on-one therapist could be beneficial as well.

I'm glad that you are educating yourself. I find that the serenity prayer helps me. God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.

We will be here for you to listen and encourage you however we can. Again, i'm really sorry that you're having to go through this and my heart does go are you and your family.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Welcome to the community, @Filip12. I, too, am sorry to hear about your daughter's addiction. But I'm glad you came here to talk to us.

@Dominica has given you some excellent information and advice. As the father of a 29-year-old son who has been struggling on and off with addiction for about 14 years, I know how you feel. As parents, we want to fix our children and rid them of their problems; but it doesn't work that way. Your daughter is the only one who can take the steps necessary to turn her life around.

I agree that Al-Anon or Nar-Anon meetings would be very good for you. There is a lot of comfort and help to be found at those meetings. You will quickly discover that you are not alone in your struggle.

Keep educating yourself, too. There are a lot of good books out there. Here is a link to some of my favorites:

6 Essential Books for Those with an Addicted Loved One

We are here to help, support, and listen to you anytime you need us. I will also pray for your daughter and your family.