An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

help for brother

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by sister, Dec 4, 2017.

1. sister

sister Member

please i need some advice. My brother is abusing xanax and refuses to get help. he is the most stubborn person i know and his addiction is destroying his relationships with his family. I would never give up on him but dont know how to get him help. I feel like the only way is if he is court ordered. Would i be a horrible person if i call the cops? i dont know what else to do.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@sister... Welcome and thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear about your brother's Xanax abuse. You are a good sister for being so concerned about him.

Before you resort to calling the police, I suggest that you pick up a book called Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change. It's actually written for partners/parents of people struggling with addiction, but it can be a huge help for any loved one. It's full of great information, like how to communicate better with the person who is struggling; how to talk to them to help convince them to want to change; and how to take good care of yourself while you're dealing with your loved one's issues. I think reading this book will really help you help your brother.

When someone we love is battling addiction, there is only so much we can do. Like Nar-Anon and Al-Anon teach us about a loved one's addiction: "You didn't cause it, you can't control it, and you can't cure it." Ultimately, your brother is the only one who can take the steps necessary to change his life. But you can let him know that you love him, care about him, and are willing to be supportive if he chooses to get help.

I will keep your brother and your family in my thoughts and prayers, and I'm sending lots of positive energy, hope, and encouragement in his direction. I'm also sending you a bunch of love, light, and virtual hugs, because I know you could probably use them right now.