An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Help for the family members

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Loved One' started by CpXi7z1, Dec 13, 2014.

1. CpXi7z1

CpXi7z1 Member

When the addict's addictions and behaviors wear you down and make you crazy, where do you turn for help? What outlets and hobbies do you have for coping? What helps you keep what sanity you have left?
  2. ayywithemm

ayywithemm Member

That's a very good question. Obviously, the addict needs as much help as they can get, but the family need help just as much if they have been badly affected by it too. Many a time, they don't get this help which is sad.
  3. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I'm not very tolerant with addiction, so for a start, the moment I realize there's an addict in the family, he or she will immediately be sent to the nearest rehab facility. The person will be made to stay there until full recovery. After coming home, I'll do what I can to give him or her a life so busy and fun that there won't be time to resort to drugs.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think doing charity work is a great way to keep yourself grounded because it allows you to gain a better and broader perspective of the world outside your circle of friends and family. It also helps with self fulfillment obviously since you are helping others.
  5. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Bonding with your favorite people whom you can trust to help you out instead of pulling you down more is a very sensible way to make you feel better. If you just surround yourself with people who understand you and make you feel positive about life, about yourself, then it is really a productive start to even breaking your bad habits.

I have addicted relatives who focused on their interests in terms of jobs that they love doing to overcome their substance abuse. One was a meth user, the other was an alcoholic since he was a teenager. He reduced alcohol intake when he reached his 60s. Now that he is into his 70s, he still drinks but not too much anymore and not everyday. He has a small business, a regular exercise routine and his grandkids to keep him busy and sane.

Life is good! But it is how you make it.
  6. ayywithemm

ayywithemm Member

Wow, I'm glad that you have this system and can sort it out from the offset. It sounds realistic and simple and could definitely work. Have you tried it before?
  7. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

This isn't really my method but my mom's. She did exactly this when her brother, my uncle, was confirmed to be an addict. Everyone was opposed to the idea of sending him to rehab but she did what she could to have him sent, anyway. She even consulted a family lawyer to speed up the process. Since no one's been addicted to any substance in my direct family, there's no opportunity to apply the method. Should I catch a drug addict among my cousins and nearby relatives, though, I'd do my best to implement it.
  8. ayywithemm

ayywithemm Member

That's very good of your mom! It is totally like the saying "be cruel to be kind". I bet your uncle is grateful to her now and all those people that were against him going to rehab...well, they were wrong!
  9. soconfused

soconfused Member

I wonder the same thing. I have a brother that has been hooked to drugs for the bast 2 years. It has broken my mother. I have a younger brother who witnesses crazy fights between them all the time. I don't live at home so I have no idea how to help them.
  10. funpost

funpost Member

That's a very good question and I wonder the same. As a relative of the drug addict I witnessed this crazy guy beat up his parents and even their neighbour when they tried to call 911 for help. But those helps from the family, physicians, and police officers seems all temporary, and for the long run, who knows what is going to happen and when.
  11. juno

juno Community Champion

There are a lot of support groups out there for families of users. I think family counseling is also a good idea. One should explore what are the stress relievers for them and make sure to set aside time for themselves to do the activities that they prefer.
  12. juno

juno Community Champion

If law enforcement is involved, then often times there are social workers or case workers that can get involved as well, and they will do weekly or monthly check ins with the family. They have resources to refer families to, such as family therapy.