An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Help me

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by lydingdtrs2348, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Hi all,

My wife has been taking cocaine for 2 years, I’m not sure whether she is addicted to it or not. She is pregnant now, but still taking the drug regularly. I had read that nicotine and drugs can be transmitted to the babies via breastfeeding. Is this cause any harm to our baby? I had ensured her about this, but she is not ready to stop the cocaine usage. What should I do? One of my friends suggested me to take her into Addiction Canada ( http://www.addictioncanadahelp.com/ ), an addiction treatment center near my place to check whether she is addicted to it or not. But she’s refusing to do that. I’m really helpless and tensed. Can anybody suggest a solution for this?
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

She needs to stop using if she is pregnant. If she can not give it up for her unborn child then I would say that she is addicted. One affect that it can have on the baby is it's developing heart. This baby will suffer long term effects because of the choices that she is making. She needs to get help if not for her for the child she is carrying. This is also your child so you should have a say on what she is doing to this baby.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Even she is aware that her drug use will affect her unborn baby she still is using, no doubt that she is addicted to it. She might need to have a check up to know the condition of the baby and be advised by her doctor to stop. She might also need counseling or whatever support she will need to stop using drugs.
  4. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

Well, it's time.for the tough truth here. If your wife is using cocaine while shes pregnant you don't have to worry about it being transmitted through breastfeeding... as it will not get to the point. It's HIGHLY likely she will experience a miscarriage (depending on gestation), a still birth or premature birth. If the baby is lucky enough to be born alive and continue to live, there is no doubt your baby will be taken away by child protective services at birth and your wife will be thrown in prison upon discharge. You will be left alone.

I'm sorry but that's the hard truth. There is no need to worry about breastfeeding. Save your child, save your wife... save your family. Talk to your wife about treatment, if she refuses contact authorities IMMEDIATELY!

YOUR CHILD'S LIFE IS IN DANGER!! You are allowing this endangerment. STOP IT NOW!
  5. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

You have to do something, You have a say so because this is your child also. No one should be using cocaine when there pregnant. If she won't seek help, you have to force it on her for the safety of your child. Contact child protective services. What she does on her own is her business but when a child is involved you have to do something.
  6. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I agree with what everyone has said, the fact that your wife doesn't want to stop using cocaine even if she's pregnant means that she is indeed addicted to it. Even though it hurts and it will really be a tough decision for you but you need to ask for assistance from concerned agencies immediately for your baby's sake. Time is a big consideration here because as every day goes by with her taking in cocaine and the baby inside her womb, the more the baby's life is endangered and her own life too. I suggest you call the proper agencies right now and save the people you love. I wish you luck and I wish your wife a healthy delivery soon.
  7. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, you have to think about the welfare of your family, the life of your unborn child needs to be protected, and if your wife refuses treatment...call the cops. If this costs you your marriage so be it. You have a duty to protect your child if the mother can't or won't.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Hello there, @lydingdtrs2348! Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing. Well, I don't know much about the negative effects of cocaine to pregnant women, but what I know is that it's really dangerous for a pregnant woman to take cocaine. I know it must be difficult for her to quit this substance, but it's the health of your future child that is at risk here. You have to encourage her to stop taking it now.
  9. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

She needs to definitely stop if she is pregnant. the risks are large when a pregnant woman does drugs.
  10. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Cocaine abuse and smoking are very terrible for your unborn son.
    Please get her the help she needs, as quickly as you can.
    I will pray for the strength and health needed for you and your family.
  11. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

This is a really serious situation you're in, and I suggest you speak to a professional very soon. There is actually a risk that your child will be taken away from you if the child welfare authorities get wind of your wife's behavior. Wantonly taking dangerous, illegal drugs while pregnant is no joke. I'd act quickly if I were you. See a professional ASAP is all the advice I can give.
    deanokat likes this.
  12. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

It is now February..and I hope you guys are not still discussing this issue. There is nothing else that can be said except she needs to get help and fast. This will be harmful for the baby no matter if she is carrying the baby or if he/she is born yet. No matter what... this lifestyle will be a hindrance in obtaining a healthy, stable and happy home for children.