An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the Forums?Join or

Help my grown son of 41 years old is a drug addict.I don't know what to do to help him.

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Loved One' started by Sandyn9, Aug 30, 2016.

  1. Sandyn9

    Sandyn9 Member

    He lives in his own house.All of a sudden he hates me will not talk to me because he says I'm negative,yells at me and acts like I'm stupid about any and everything.We always has a great relationship and could talk about anything.I don't know why it is he hates me all of a sudden.I need help I'm having a hard time with this.I cry so much when he is mean to me and I don't know why or what I can do to help him.Pls help me
  2. deanokat

    deanokat Community Organizer Community Listener

    @Sandyn9... I'm sorry to hear about your son. Can I ask what kind of drug(s) he's using?

    I think it would be super helpful if you attended a Nar-Anon or Al-Anon meeting. Being amongst others who know exactly what you're going through can be incredibly helpful. These groups also teach that you didn't cause your loved one's addiction, you can't control it, and you can't cure it. The only person who can "fix" your son is your son.

    Are there any other family members or close friends who could maybe reach out to your son and talk to him about his problem? Sometimes parents are the worst people to talk to someone about addiction issues. (I know. My son has struggled with addiction for years.)

    You may also want to talk to a therapist. When my son was at his worst, therapy really helped keep me sane.

    We are here to help and support you. Reach out anytime you need to, okay?

    Sending you good thoughts, prayers, and lots of light, love, and hope.