New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Help my mom

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by Research woman, Apr 1, 2018.

1. My mother remarried a former inmate about five years ago after my parents divorced. She started alienating herselffrom family and friends. Last year both her parents passed away she had gone down hill quickly. Sure will be 58 this year, but her health had declined so much I'm worried she won't make it. She's lost an extremeamount of weight. She goes through periods of extreme energy and can't even sit down she's so fidgety. Then in bed for days. She had bruises in the critch of her arm on more than one occasion. I'm terrified she's on both meth and heroine. She used to only drink and smoke pot now She doesn't do eithor. I don't know how to help her.
  2. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Research woman hi there. welcome. so sorry about your mom's condition. i know that must be really hard for you. are you able to sit with her and have a heart-to-heart? let her know you're concerned about her? hopefully she will be able to be truthful with you.

it's tough to know what to do. it's ok to have a loving conversation with her... ask her what's going on...she may get defensive or angry...but she may not. tough to say. just be there for her in terms of loving her unconditionally... refrain from enabling her... if it were my mom, i'd definitely sit and have a loving chat with her from a place of love and kindness. not judging her in any way...just easing into a conversation "hey mom. would love to just chat about life and what's going on. how you're doing..you've had to deal with so much lately....etc."

being a loved one of an addict can be challenging... we are powerless over them, and that can feel frustrating and scary.

is she still married to that guy? how is he?