An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Help needed for using crack and heroin

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Friend' started by Lanny, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Lanny

Lanny Member

My friend's brother has an addiction and it's so hard to deal with the things he has been through. My friend wants to know if there is any help she can get for him. He needs help to get off the drugs so he can work at getting back to his normal life. My friend says he smokes crack on a can and smokes heroin on foil, usually 20 of crack a day and 10 of heroin. What do you think is the best possible way of helping him out?
    Joseph likes this.
  2. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree with Jen, those types of drugs are on a different level and if your friend's brother is using that much then it is more cause for urgency. It sounds like he needs professional help since heroin is hard enough to get off of and adding crack to that mix just makes it all the more complicated.
  4. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

He is definitely in need of immediate help. Those are very dangerous and very addictive drugs. It will make a huge difference if he is wanting to get help or not. Even if he is not really at that point now, he is in so much danger, convincing him to go to rehab is definitely the right thing to do. Hopefully as he gets off the drugs he will see how they were ruining his life and decide for himself that he does not want to go back to that.
  5. LostmySis

LostmySis Senior Contributor

Detoxing from that much heroin can take 3-5 days, and can make one very ill. I have seen some people roll on the floor crying, as well as having coughing fits and sneezing fits. This is not something one should do at home, but in the presence of medical professionals. Hopefully you all can find a good detox/rehab for him. Good luck
  6. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Well this is a serious one. I know of a detox program that is 100% effective for drugs and alcohol. I know it works well. It is so effective the controversy around it is huge. I wish you both the best to be successful in helping him.