An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Help

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by notanangel, Apr 28, 2018.

1. notanangel

notanangel Member

Hi

My name is Holly and I'm addicted to codeine. I've been using on and off for two years, which I know isn't long compared to other people. I only used it for real pain before, but after losing my job I got depressed and have been self medicating. It's not at its worst level now - at one point I was taking 6 or 7 tablets four times a day, how the hell I survived I don't know - but it can't carry on. I'm functional and hide it well, but still. I know I can't carry on with this.

I posted on another forum and have recieved good advice, but I think I'd benefit from hearing from other addicts and people in recovery as well. At the moment I'm planning on tapering down at the end of next week, but I'm scared. I don't want to go cold turkey as I get so low while doing it, and I start a new job Monday. I usually take my dad's prescription (awful I know) but have ran out and ordered online. It was too easy, and now I'm tempted to order more. I know I need to change but keep making excuses and minimising things. I need some support, and probably some straight talking tough love as well.

I haven't got much RL support. The Dr is out as I don't want to jeopardize my employment chances, me and my parents don't have a great relationship, and logistically getting to NA would be difficult as the nearest one is 25 miles from me and I don't drive. I'm grasping at straws as I need to change but can't see a way out.
    lonewolves likes this.
  2. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@notanangel hey there! i responded in a different post.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@notanangel... How are things going? Let us know if you have a chance.
  4. jai

jai Member

U need to quit now. I started using opiates prescribed by a dr at a very young age it. I was taking over 20 pills a day when that didn't satisfy me I went to oxycodine and so on. By the time I learned that opiates were body addicting it was to late. I hide my addiction for over 20yrs. I had a great job, house cars extra so my family didn't think I had a drug problem. Anywayou I just quit using heroin 2 yes ago and I still don't feel right. I have no motivation depressed. When I was in rehab the younger people recovered faster than me I noticed they were better in 3 days. I'm still feeling like **** after 2 yes. Just stop it now. You will feel like **** for a few days but it's better for us in the long run
  5. Dominica

@jai i am glad you got off heroin. i do hope you feel like yourself again soon!! thank you for reaching out!
    True concern and deanokat like this.
  6. lonewolves

lonewolves Community Champion

Hi @notanangel,
    Glad you are here and trying to better your life. If there’s one thing I’ve learnt from sobriety, it’s that the path’s to recovery are hard, no matter how long the struggle. I had difficulties going to AA when I quit drinking, because I felt like an imposter. I felt like people have had it much worse than I, and longer than I, so it would be rude to be there. Eventually I realized the love and support in the community for all addicts, no matter the duration. I hope you find that same support and respect here as well. I’m still relatively new to this forum, but it’s been very useful to me, and has actually stopped me from using coke a few times already.

We’ve got your back!
  7. deanokat

Hey, @notanangel... I hope things are going alright with you. Check in with us if you can. We're here and we care about you.

@jai... So happy to hear that you were able to slay the heroin addiction beast. Congrats to you! Thanks for sharing your insight here.
    lonewolves and True concern like this.
  8. Jai50

Jai50 Senior Contributor

Thanks my this is my new name. It was a hard due
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  9. BP3312

BP3312 Member

Hi. I'm an addict. I wish I could give advice but I'm still in my addiction as well.
    I've been to rehab a number of times.
    Been to court ordered treatment for a year. I got out and was in a sober house for 6 months. I moved out of the sober house 2 months ago and have been messed up for a while. I got into meth and really made a mistake. Now I am lost. I do know I need help.
  10. Dominica

Hello and welcome to the Forum. Thank you for reaching out. Being here is a good first step to getting back on the road to recovery. I'm glad that you realize that you need some help. Do whatever it takes to get the help that you need. Whether that's rehab or counseling or 12-step group or all of them combined, have that attitude that you're going to do whatever it takes to get clean and stay clean! But not only just stay clean, but deal with any issues that might be underneath the addiction. There's almost always issues that underline addiction that tend to keep people going back to using. That could be traumatic things that have happened in the past, abuse, depression, anxiety, negative home environments, lack of coping skills or anger management skills, and so on. Embrace a New Journey toward healing mind, body, and, spirit, I know that we're here to root you on no matter what. And certainly share from your experiences whether you're clean or not. There are others here that who are struggling to stay clean, so feel free to share... your experiences, strength, and so on.
    deanokat likes this.
  11. deanokat

Welcome to the community, @BP3312. I'm sorry that you slipped up in your recovery, but I'm glad you came here and told us about it. It sounds like you had a good stretch of sober time under your belt, and I know you can do that again if you are willing to work at it. @Dominica has given you some excellent suggestions: Rehab, counseling, support group meetings. All of those could help you. Maybe you could try an intensive outpatient program (IOP), too. There are a lot of tools available to you. You just have to seek them out and commit to getting clean again. I know you can do it, and we are here to help you however we can. You are not alone.

If you mix willingness and hope enough times, you can find long-term sobriety. So don't get too down on yourself. Just take the steps necessary to get back on the right path, okay?

Sending you tons of hope and encouragement.