An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Helping a friend

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by sllrambleon, Feb 19, 2015.

1. sllrambleon

sllrambleon Member

My friend is a highly intelligent, strongly opinionated and kinda lazy law student, who is having some issues right now. He was always known for his love of alcohol but lately it has become apparent that he is abusing the damn thing. He is drinking almost every day and it beginning to worry me.
    If I mentioned it he would just shrug it off. What can I do to show him he has a problem?
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Sometimes, the only thing a person can do to help someone is to be blunt. You have to say this issue to your friend. Tell him you are concerned about his condition and you don't want to see him just falling apart. Tell him he's too smart to just be beaten by alcohol. Just reassure him that you are his friend, and you want to help him. If he just shrug it off, then fine. At least, you tried to persuade him to pull himself together.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

It seems like you told him that he has a problem. Not sure how you are going to show him. Maybe you should record him being drunk. Show him that. Let him see how much of an idiot the becomes when he drinks.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Sometimes there's only so much you can do though. You've made your feelings clear and told him what you think, the rest is really up to him now to decide if he really thinks if he has a problem or not.
  5. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

The truth will always free people. Just tell your friend what you really feel and educate him on the facts about alcohol. He may be smart and intelligent, but still no one can say they know everything.
  6. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

The best way to do is just come clean and be honest about how you feel about his behavior. Show your friend some tough love.