An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Helping an addict get help

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Loved One' started by Kteabc, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Kteabc

Kteabc Member

most addicts are in denial that they are in fact, addicts while others think no one else knows what they are doing. Addiction is a serious disease of the mind and that mind will always convince the addict that "they don't need help" and many other things to avoid stopping. The truth for me was that even though I had lost my home and had no income I still wasn't ready to stop. My mind told me I'd figure a way out of this mess. It only got worse and very fast. I had to be backed into a corner with no other option but to go to treatment to agree to go. I had to be out of options and ideas at the same time. I've seem that method orl for many suffering addicts. It's not easy on family and friends but it has to be done or they will die or go to jail.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Forcing someone to give up an addiction, get treatment, etc will only be a short-lived success. The most important thing IMO before forcing someone to give up drugs is finding out why they started using drugs in the first place. There always are some underlying issues which drive people into drug addiction. Help that family member fix those issues and they'll probably see why they don't need drugs anymore. Otherwise if those issues aren't fixed, then the addict would go right back to using drugs once treatment is done.
  3. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

I agree with Rainman. I didn't know anything about the 'how to' when it came to substance in my first marriage, though that was not the reason for the divorce. But when I was encouraged to be a part of my ex's treatment I did find out why he drank so much.
  4. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Senior Contributor

Yeah. Most of them are in denial which makes helping them much harder.