An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Helping Detox

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by Lotus1, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Lotus1

Lotus1 Member

I am about to help a friend detox. I do not know what to expect. He's relapsed after 6 years & has on been using again few months since the sudden death of a really close friend . We picked a few weeks out to do this on our own with out patient therapy at a local substance abuse center for emotional support and everything else they provide. My question is what should I expect. Has anyone ever successfully accomplished this without an inpatient time period. My rational side is saying run away from this situation as fast as I can and they can call me when they get their self together but another part is calm and collected feeling as if they'll pull through and get their life straightened out for them. No, I'm not sure exactly how much they've been using, but they are painfully thin. Any informative feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Lotus1... It's great that you want to help your friend detox. It's also great that you're going to do it in conjunction with outpatient treatment. I think the biggest thing you're going to have to contend with are your friend's withdrawal symptoms...both physical and psychological. But the outpatient program should be able to help with that. And if any of the symptoms get unbearable for your friend, going to an emergency room and letting medical professionals help with things is always an option you shouldn't hesitate to use.

I wish you and your friend the best of luck. Let us know how it goes.