An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Herbal Medicines

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by kevinkimers, Nov 25, 2014.

1. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

I don't know how well this will work. For some it would be the solution. For others... it wont have an effect. To be honest though, most medicines don't work... your mind just thinks it does so it has an effect physically. I can tell you a pill is a pain killer and if you actually believe me it will help kill or dull your pain... when in fact the pill could have been just filled with sodium. I've seen it happen.

Now back to subject.... as I was growing up, my mother gave me no "western" medicines. They were all herbal. I was never sick. I had no childhood illnesses (chickenpox, mumps, measles...) I was healthy and strong. When my mother passed in 1999, I was lazy and did not want to make herbal teas and such... so I started taking "western" medicines. I started having more problems. I was getting sick easily for one and started having allergies suddenly that I never had before.

All "western" medicine is a synthetic version of herbal medicines that they have concocted and made into a cocktail. 99% of them have side effects (some worse than what the drug is used to treat), 85% of them have addictive properties, and are very expensive. Herbal medicines, have little or no side effects that are known, they are nonaddictive, and most of what you need is already in your kitchen. So tell me again, why do we take pharmaceutical drugs again???

I'm not saying that you should quit any medications your are taking, especially for serious illnesses like cancer and such, but talk to your doctor about herbal alternative that you may be able to take that is less costly and may be more effective. Make for sure your doctor knows what you are taking so that he/she can help you to determine how much you should take and monitor your progress. Herbal medicines have been used for thousands of years all over the world and has been proven time and time again that it works. Pharmaceutical drugs have only been used for a couple of hundred years and have had more problems then they have helped.
  2. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

I have always only ever used herbal medicines. I believe in the healing powers of herbs and they have always worked for me. Thinking about addiction, herbal medicines can help addicts with staying sober. For example, skullcap herb can be used to ease withdrawal symptoms. Skullcap is also excellent for the nervous system. I use it whenever I have anxiety or get an occasional headache. I feel immediate relief. Valerian extract also works well for individuals who are addicted to cocaine or alcohol. It is also helpful to people who suffer from nervous disorders and depression. Dandelion root is another herb that is good for addicts to use because it helps to detoxify the body. The best thing about herbal medicine in general, is that it is not addictive.
  3. kevinkimers

I did a couple of threads on that idea. I was only able to give information and articles in the thread on the subject... perhaps you could do some threads on what herbs they could use to help with their addictions. I know of some, but I did not think to put them up at the time.
  4. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

That's a good idea. I could work on that. I mentioned a few in this thread. I was assuming that this would be an appropriate thread to write them on since the thread was on herbal medicine and in the strategies for staying sober. So, I apologize if I were incorrect in doing so. I am wondering if I should write all of the herbs in one thread or by addiction. What do you suggest?

Also, I believe that many people have forgotten how much all societies used to depend on herbal medicines. Now, many societies do not look to depend on herbal medicines. Since the pharmaceutical companies have come in to play, many people look for instant relief and end up having more difficulties from pharmaceutical medicines. Herbal medicines are gentle on the body. I just wanted to ask, did you know that herbal medicines can be taken in tinctures or extracts, instead of teas? Tinctures and extracts are concentrated amounts of herbs and the body absorbs them quicker than in other forms. They can be found in glycerin form.
  5. kevinkimers

LOL yes I knew about the tinctures and extracts. People are mostly familiar with teas so to keep things simple I just automatically say tea when talking about herbal med's. I am creating my own blog site (different topic from here) that I was intending on doing an article on herbal med's and actually putting up a encyclopedia of herbs and their uses on the site. It is slow going so it wont be available for quite some time, but it is something I am very in to.

How you should do the thread is up to you. If you do it by addiction, that is several threads, but people who are looking only in a specific area will find it. If you do it in one thread, it would be a long thread, but only those looking in the general area would find it. You have to decide how much work you are willing to put into it and how many people you would like it to reach. Either way, people will benefit from the information.
  6. Ohyesuare

Ohyesuare Member

I believe it is best to use both and not shun pharmaceutical or herbal medicines. I think there is a place for both and both can beneficial in many cases. I have had good experiences with both kinds of medicines so I definitely speak from experience. I know that not using real medicine can even cause your death if you refuse it.
  7. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes this is true. Herbal is a great alternative. Passion flower is the best. It is used to detox opium. It works well if someone is hysterical. The detox effect of it is really strong I was floored how well it gets prescription drugs out of the body, quickly too. I haven't really gotten into researching herbs for lessening detox effects. There is probably tons of combos. I love herbal teas and adding extracts.
  8. pintbean

pintbean Active Contributor

I have always wanted to try an herbal medicine based lifestyle. However, I find myself knowing very little about it. In my time spent in China it was incredible to see all the herbal medicine that they have and follow. They seem completely pleased with the effects that it gives you and that is something I long to know more of. Perhaps one day I will really dedicate myself to using these herbs to treat mild conditions and see how it goes.
  9. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I do take fish oils and they help keep me from being anxious all of the time. The omega 3s have been shown to reduce anxiety. If I am less anxious then I am less likely to drink. So I do think herbal medicines do help out a lot.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

There are times that I do use herbal over synthetic or over the counter drugs especially those that are available around or I can get hands into. I prefer herbal teas myself sometimes usually to get rid of my cough and headache. I do believe that natural is better. ;)
  11. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

While I don't think you should rely solely on herbal remedies to help - combining medical treatment with holistic care methods has been shown to be a very positive experience for many people.
  12. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Herbal is great. But I think what we need to focus on is natural and organic. We are a species that have now made everything processed and unnatural, and moved away from healing ourselves with what has worked for centuries.
  13. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I think herbal medicine would really do wonders and be very helpful since it is organic/natural. My mother takes herbal medicine and it is really working great for her. I think now is the time that we should consider natural over synthetic.