An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Herbal Remedies — Do They Work?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Some articles I read indirectly hint at the possibility of herbal remedies "curing" addictions. None have been put to the test which is why the writers are unwilling to endorse their herbal remedies.

Question though is, considering marijuana is a "herb" would other herbal remedies like marijuana, prove to be addictive which [for the person hoping they'll help] would technically be replacing one addiction for another?

Or maybe they don't work at all but the faith of the person using the herbal remedy to cure an addiction makes it appear like it does work.

Your thoughts?
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is actually my first time to read about using herbs to get rid of addiction. Maybe there should be more studies about that before one can say that it can work or not. Also to know what are those specific herbs that could in getting rid of the addiction.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I'm really not sure if herbs could help. It's possible, for sure - but it's also possible that it's a placebo effect. A big part of addiction is being trapped in our own heads, to a degree - at least in my experience. I'm sure if other people are going through that sort of feeling, then herbs might help. But, I would always check with a doctor before you go consuming anything. Especially if you're already taking prescription medications as there can be all sorts of interactions there.
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Mother nature always has an answer to diseases and so forth. But these man made drugs are not an easy fix. I'm sure they have remedies for the headaches and nausea, but to stop addiction all together? Nothing can cure the mind but the person itself. That's what I think.
  5. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

My experience is that no, they don't. And man made cures such as suboxone aren't much better. A good support system and having your head on straight are the biggest things to that will help you overcome an addiction. There aren't any short cuts or get through withdrawal and cravings free passes.
  6. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

There are many wonderful herbs that will help you with anxiety, depression, insomnia, etc. Other herbs will help to boost your immune system, clean your blood and organs and work like a tonic. The value of medicinal herbs can never be underestimated. But as for some kind of "wonder herb" that will "cure" your addiction, I have severe doubts about that, as a large part of substance addiction is also psychological. Herbs will be great aids when it comes to sorting out your mental, emotional and physical issues, but they alone won't get you better. Changing your overall way of thinking, will do that.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Herbal medicine/remedies could be of help cure addictions, but there's really no proof that it could effectively work for all people. I mean, each one of us has different body functions and reactions. Just because it worked for others doesn't it could also give the same results to you. But yeah, you won't know if you won't try.