New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Here is why addicted mothers must be stopped from taking drugs during pregnancy:

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by 111kg, Jan 16, 2016.

1. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While I'm sure that everyone agrees that taking drugs at anytime is a bad decision, during pregnancy that's especially the case. More needs to be done to earn pregnant woman about the risks and dangers that are involved, unfortunately though, the decision lies ultimately with them to decide what to do.
  3. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

This is so frustrating, if they aren't going to take the proper responsibility to take care of a kid, they shouldn't have it in the first place, and when the baby is born there are going to be multiple complications when it comes to health... But fixing the society at this time seems almost impossible.
  4. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

I believe we seriously need to make treatment for pregnant women much more accessible. I believe drug treatment (as well as ALL prenatal care) should be completely free. In the UK they have NHS, all citizens receive free medical care. I believe this should be the case in the US too but I know that's not going to happen, anytime soon... at least.

But, women shouldn't have to live in fear of having their baby taken away at birth or facing prosecution... IF THEY SEEK TREATMENT. Neglecting to do so is an entirely different situation, though.
  5. denise13337

denise13337 Active Contributor

I know this from first hand experience, sometimes when you are on hard drugs it seriously impairs your judgement and I've seen pregnant addicts convince themselves it's ok because 'it doesn't really affect the baby in the first 3/4/5/6 months' I don't advocate detox and rehab unless someone is ready for it, but in this case it affects someone else's life as well, the baby. It is necessary to make sure these women are in rehab at least while they are pregnant for the sake of their baby.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

That's why it's important to not even take drugs, especially if you are pregnant, since it will harm the baby. Expecting mothers who do otherwise clearly don't care enough for the baby.
  7. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

It's really sad to see babies having withdrawal symptoms after they are out of the womb. It's extremely saddening because they aren't even asking to be given those drugs in the first place. I know that even for pregnant mothers who are addicted, it can still be difficult to stay away from drugs. Though you have that motivation, your cravings might make you give in to the addiction. So for addicted mothers, it's important to seek help immediately because it might save your baby's life.
  8. gracer

gracer Community Champion

It's really sad to know that many babies still fall victim to the effects of drug intake during pregnancy. Taking drugs is never really an option during pregnancy, even the therapeutic kind of drugs should be taken in carefully because there are so many drugs out there which are harmful to babies inside the womb.
  9. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

There are a lot of ethical implications, honestly. We have the autonomy of the body principle, which theoretically, allows the woman to do whatever she wants with her body. However, taking drugs during pregnancy is clearly a sign that the mother will not be a good parent, reason why social services should take the newborn ASAP. However, the legislation is tough and not a lot of people share the same reasoning.
  10. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

Just to see what heroin, for example, does to the newborns:

11. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

How can this happen? I mean, if they do check whether a baby is drug dependent or not... then how come they just let said mom and baby just leave the hospital like that?? I don't get it, how can people be so irresponsible!? Specially when babies are involved...
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Sad and alarming to know that there are babies who suffer because of their mother's addiction. Maybe there should be rules or laws against moms to be who do not seek help about their addiction to at least protect their unborn babies. There should be more support or help as well for those who will seek help.
  13. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Save for randomly stopping, testing expectant mothers for drugs and punishing those who test positive I don't think much can be done to stop mothers from taking drugs when they are pregnant. I suppose though educating expectant matters how their actions [taking drugs] will affect their unborn babies maybe a few will stop using drugs.
  14. pwarbi

In a way I also think that people these days rely too much on the mother's instinct, and they won't step in because they still want to believe that a mother would never harm their children on purpose, but that's sadly not the case.

It is important to remember though that it's the addiction that's taken control of the mother's thoughts and feelings, and it's not as if the mother is purposely harming her baby, it's just the simple fact that she can't manage without that substance inside her.
  15. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I'm literally crying - that is just heartbreaking to watch. For both the mother and the baby, pregnancy should be a time when drugs do not enter the equation. When you commit to parenthood I think that it should be the realization that you have to care for someone else - that little person is 100% reliant on you...you need to be your best for them!
  16. pwarbi

A lot of the time though, the mother's to be who refuse or can't stop taking the substances don't want to be pregnant in the first place and it's been unintentional.

That doesn't make it right of course, but they care less what happens to the baby and all they're concerned with is getting high and carrying on with their own lives.
  17. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

Soooo, they have money for drugs, but not for abortions? There are no excuses, honestly. They are the only ones responsible for the basic health of their children. Can't they really stop or just abort the pregnancy if they know they can't stop taking drugs?
    LolaBunny99 likes this.
  18. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

Whoever is ready to have a child must be ready to take up the resonsility of being a mother/parent. Being a parent, a mother especially, is not a child's play and shouldn't be seen as an easy task. You have to be psychologically, emotiolly, physically, and financially ready to take it up. You have to make sacrifices for the sake of your child. A female addict should not even think of becoming a mother until she is safely off the addiction.
  19. pwarbi

I'm not agreeing with the way they think or how they live their life, who am I to judge anybody in the first place?

All I'm pointing out is from what I know from experience and I've talked to two girls as part of me helping out at a rehab centre and both said the same. They got pregnant while they was both addicted and high, they didn't want the baby but they took more drugs as a way of burying their head in the sand and pretending it wasn't happening.

I think that's the case in a lot of these situations, that's all I was meaning.
  20. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I agree this is really messed up. Baby's in there mothers womb don't have a choice about what goes into there bodies. I really feel sorry for kids who were born addicted. It should be mandatory that someone addicted to drugs when pregnant gets help. This is something that can be devastating to a child's life.