An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Here is why addicted mothers must be stopped from taking drugs during pregnancy:

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by 111kg, Jan 16, 2016.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While I do agree with the sentiment behind the argument, are you saying that the life of a baby is more important than the life of the mothers?

If a female is found to be an addict, pregnant or not, shouldn't it be mandatory for them to get help?

You see what I'm saying though? It's a debate that could be set to run and run, especially in the media.
  2. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

There is a pretty good chance that the person had the addiction before pregnancy even happened. Having a child isn't going to stop everyone from using drugs. These people need help and need to go get clean. I really feel bad for the babies because before they are even born they will have problems to face because of the mother.
  3. pwarbi

Your right and if your an addict, suddenly finding out your pregnant often isn't the life changing experience it should be. Your addiction isn't going to all of a sudden disappear just because your now carrying a child, so there's two options you can take. Either get help with your addiction and start to look after yourself and your baby, or sink even further into addiction because now you've got the added pressure of having another problem to deal with.
  4. thash1979

thash1979 Active Contributor

I think taking drugs at anytime is a terrible idea. Taking drugs while you are carrying a human life inside you should just be a crime! It's one thing to not respect your life and healthy, but to have an innocent life inside you that doesn't have the choice of picking a sober mommy to carry them is just wrong. This child didn't ask to be made, and especially not by someone that cant even care enough for themselves. It's just simply wrong.
    LolaBunny99 likes this.
  5. LolaBunny99

LolaBunny99 Member

It always breaks my heart whenever I see babies born addicted and suffering from withdrawal symptoms. I remember the first time I saw it: the baby was shaking violently and uncontrollably, while screaming and crying. It was extremely sad and horrifying. I cannot imagine how I would feel if my mother would've done that to me as a child. In terms of choosing what will be put into their bodies, and how it will affect them for the rest of their lives (if they even live that long), these babies have no say whatsoever. It's a complex problem with no easy solution. In fact, the only viable prevention methods may be a bit too austere for many people to accept. However, in my opinion, no prevention method could be more harsh than burdening a newborn with a drug-addiction.
  6. Mayoress

Mayoress Active Contributor

I feel this is really very simple. If you are not ready to fight addiction, why should you even think of getting pregnant. Once you are pregnant you should know that whatever you do to your body now affects two people and not just you. So your decisions has to be selfless.
  7. pwarbi

Many women who have drug addictions don't intend to get pregnant though, it's something that occurs by accident. Of course I'm not saying that makes it ok, but what I am saying is that they've not purposely gone out to get pregnant, knowing that baby will be born an addict.
  8. dalzieleone

dalzieleone Member

I think the society needs to create more awareness on the risks and effects of using drugs when one is pregnant. Women who use drugs also need more education on the dangers in case they get pregnant. Providing this pregnant women with support and access to health care will also make a difference to their lives
  9. Mayoress

Mayoress Active Contributor

I have heard of several alarming cases of babies suffering from the effect of drugs gotten from their mothers. The effect can be so bad that the babies would find it very difficult to breathe and would require breath control. If a baby can be subjected to such at such an early stage, what would become of such a child later in life.
  10. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

That's just an excuse, sorry. If you don't want a baby, an abortion is cheaper than drugs. This seems to be just an excuse for destroying the brain of a newborn.
  11. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

It seems that no matter how much data and statistics and scientific evidence comes out and proves all that we have assumed when it comes to pregnancy and infant health, these stories will just keep happening, and it is sad. It really starts the child off on a long and difficult road, and it is preventable too. I pray for the day when we do not have these stories anymore.
  12. kgord

kgord Community Champion

THis is a difficult problem and when you are using just saying "Oh Whoops" guess I am pregnant and continuing to use...is really irresponsibility at it's zenith. I mean treatment is out there..what could be more important than having a healthy baby? I just don't know how someone could do that personally, take drugs while pregnant.
  13. pwarbi

What's the excuse? Why would the girls purposely WANT to destroy the brain of a new born? Your talking as if these are girls who are cold, calculated and in control of their emotions and feelings and they're far from that.

In these cases they were barely legal teens that were that high on drugs 24/7 they didn't even realise they was pregnant until 6 months into the pregnancies because they was that high and out of it.

Aswell as compassion for the unborn babies, I think a member of a forum such as this would be willing to show compassion for these girls aswell, I guess not.
  14. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

No, they don't want to destroy the nervous system of their babies, they just don't care. You get the whole addiction problem wrong, honestly. You don't help a person by feeling pity for them, you help them only by supporting them to take the right choices.

And them not realizing they are pregnant at 6 months? Come on, the baby starts kicking in the 3rd, 4th month of pregnancy. I don't think that 2-3 months can pass and the mother wouldn't feel anything, not to say about the missing period.
  15. pwarbi

For somebody that's fought and beaten their own addiction in the pastz and work helping others to beat theirs for more years than I care to remember, through centres and support groups, I very much doubt that I get the whole addiction problem wrong.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this subject I think. We all have our own opions after all at the end of the day.
  16. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

If you are a pregnant woman, and struggling with substance abuse, you should know better not to take any drugs because you're not only risking your health, you're also putting the life of your unborn child in danger. You should be responsible enough.
    pwarbi likes this.
  17. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah what a shame when this happens. I actually know someone who was born addicted to drugs. His mother gave him up for adoption. He had a hard time as an infant. He's a good guy. A correctional officer now.
  18. pwarbi

I agree but that's part if the point I was trying to make, some people are that high and are addicted to a substance that much, they can't even take responsibility for themselves, let alone the unborn child

They don't purposely hurt the child, they just need that substance at all costs because of their addiction.
  19. lucyjp

lucyjp Member

Do you think there is an efficient way we can educate pregnant women on the effects of drug use during pregnancy to reduce the rates?
  20. lucyjp

lucyjp Member

Hi I am a nursing student doing research on this topic. Do you think pregnant women at risk for abusing drugs during pregnancy would benefit from classes or information regarding the severity of effects their child may endure?