An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Here is why addicted mothers must be stopped from taking drugs during pregnancy:

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by 111kg, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Wow. I came to this site because I am desperate for help. I'm pregnant(not planned, by the way, but wanted) and in treatment and I'm struggling to stop using.
    Because of my personal experience, having known many addicts, I actually expected some kind of understanding, I expected to see some outright judgemental comments as it's such a harrowing subject, but the degree of ignorance, judgement and obvious lack of perspective based on any personal experience(not to mention complete misinformation, anybody who has any idea how social services will know that babies are ripped from mothers who are genuinely trying every day here in England and a vast amount of the pressure comes from the fact that the moment you enter treatment social services are straight on your back, hounding you, terrifying you before you've even got to your first maternity appointment) has left me with a kind of sickening, hopeless shock.

The one blessing, I suppose is that I stumbled across this post before I could make one of my own. A lucky escape for both me and my child, that I didn't have to encounter the kind of 'supportive' response that would have awaited me had I done that, having nowhere else to turn. That probably would have really pushed me over the edge.

In years gone by, I used support forums to help me with an eating disorder and hoped to find some support and understanding from some people with relevant experience, but, this is obviously a very different kind of place altogether.

I don't know why I'm even wasting my time replying to this, I won't be visiting again. I just wanted to take a positive step(just the latest in many, not that I will even stoop to justify myself with any details of my situation), I would have appreciated help, that's all, but I suppose if I don't care about the child enough and I'm destined to be a bad parent who's baby should be taken ASAP, what's the fucking point?

But maybe, just maybe, the next time a scared and desperate girl finds her way here seeking help, she won't be confronted with such ignorant, unfeeling daily mail-esque hatred and she won't be repelled at finding almost enough hatred and judgment to match her own internal monologue(the same self hatred, the same fear, the same disgust at my own behaviour that brought me here to begin with) and might stand a chance.

As for me and my baby, we'll find our own way(along with my wonderful partner - not another dirty junkie by the way - and his little boy, who already loves his little brother or sister so much he wishes them good night every night) and I will somehow find the strength and the support to avoid becoming another casualty of the social services and this hateful society or another statistical miscarrying junkie mother. For if either possibility comes to fruition, I won't be able to continue, I just won't be able to live any longer, that is how wanted the baby I 'don't care enough about' is.

But what do I matter, I'm just a junkie scumbag.

Goodbye, happy supporting.
    lonewolves likes this.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Ashes of a Phoenix... I'm sorry you didn't find what you were looking for in these forums. Unfortunately, there are people out there who are not at all empathetic. Instead, they like to condemn and attack. I don't like it any more than you do, but I do understand that people have different opinions. And there is still a lot of stigma associated with addiction.

I'm sorry you're struggling to stop using, but I'm very happy to hear that you're in treatment. I hope you can find your way to recovery and that you and your baby can be as healthy as can be. I am sending you positive, healing, clean and sober vibes...and tons of encouragement and hope. I will also say a prayer for you. I know you can do this.

As the father of an adult son who has battled addiction for more than a dozen years, I think I can relate to what you're going through better than most. I think the "haters" are people who really just don't have a clue. In any case, love and light to you.
    lonewolves likes this.
  3. tcorbs

tcorbs Member

Being born "addicted" doesn't give a child his/her best start in life. Unfortunately the rate of drug addicted babies is on the rise. For example the rate of newborns who are dependent on opioids is a growing concern in Louisiana - see article: http://www.birthdefects.org/born-ad...e-of-newborns-dependent-on-opioids-is-rising/
    A much bigger focus on educating drug-addicted women about the dangers of using when pregnant and its effects on their unborn child is needed in order to help in making an impact.
    Dominica and deanokat like this.