An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Heroin Addiction

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by thisizznaveen, Jan 28, 2015.

1. thisizznaveen

thisizznaveen Active Contributor

What can I do for my Uncle to get out from Heroin Addiction ?
    He takes Heroin for last 4-5 years.What can I do for him to Overcome from this addiction ?
    Please Help me !
  2. awesomeaniruddh

awesomeaniruddh Active Contributor

3. thisizznaveen

thisizznaveen Active Contributor

4. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Have him read the experiences given at this website I'd say, but since he has been doing heroin since 5 years, the only good resort you currently have at your disposal is to either talk this situation through or seek professional help. But I'd say that the first thing you should try is still have him come here, it can only help. I don't see what bad it could do. :)
    Cheers, and hope for the best!
  5. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

If it's that bad already, then don't hesitate to send him to rehab. You have got to accompany him to a treatment facility while it's still possible. Support groups may be an option only after he's recovered some of his ability to think independently or will. The thing is you can't keep on condoning his behavior. A lot of people have never gone back because their family members just watch from the sidelines. Real family will never leave their members alone during times they need support the most.
  6. 6up

6up Community Champion

Why did he actually start using heroine? There must be a reason behind that. Is it because of stress resulting from family issues or influence from friends. He should be encouraged to stop the habit immediately as he has not used heroine for long. Look for a way and advice him of other ways to avoid stress, if that is the cause.
  7. Danyell

Danyell Community Champion

I am currently struggling with heroin addiction myself and have been for years. I completely understand you wanting to help him. In my experience, the best thing that a family member or friend can do is just be there for him. The only way us addicts can change is if we fully and honestly want to. Unfortunately, no matter what anyone tells us or even if they send us to rehab, if we honestly want to change and quit then it is possible. I would just be there for him and let him know that you are there to talk or whatever with absolutely no judgement.
  8. no_way_out

no_way_out Member

I am a heroin addict and believe me its not a good addiction. The only thing you can really do is be there for an addict. They have to want help to go through with it. They just need your support. Its an evil addiction and one of the hardest to get off of. If I would have known what is was I would have never tried it. No matter how you do it its addictable. I can sit here and talk about how bad I want off of it but I don't know how to go about it...
  9. Danyell

Yessss. I am a heroin addict too. I totally understand what you are going through. I have been to multiple rehabs, treatment facilities, and sober living homes. It is seriously the hardest thing I have ever encountered in my life. I am still struggling in my addiction. I really worry if I am a lifer... Like part of me wants to quit, but the other part... well, you know.
  10. no_way_out

no_way_out Member

I haven't been to any treatment centers bit been thinking about it but I have a really great jib and can't afford to lose it. I'm the same way. I want to quit and need to quit I have a lil boy and if something would happen to me he wouldn't have anybody. His dad us in and out if jail. Its just too sad. I just don't know how to go about anything. I guess I just love the high too much. Every time I do it I puke so idk why I even still do it but like I said the high is too good to pass. I've never been big into drugs until I started 6 months ago. It doesn't matter how long anyone has been doing it or done it its still as addictive
  11. no_way_out

no_way_out Member

I haven't been to any treatment centers bit been thinking about it but I have a really great jib and can't afford to lose it. I'm the same way. I want to quit and need to quit I have a lil boy and if something would happen to me he wouldn't have anybody. His dad us in and out if jail. Its just too sad. I just don't know how to go about anything. I guess I just love the high too much. Every time I do it I puke so idk why I even still do it but like I said the high is too good to pass. I've never been big into drugs until I started 6 months ago. It doesn't matter how long anyone has been doing it or done it its still as addictive
  12. Danyell

@no_way_out, I would definitely go to inpatient at least to detox. Does your work have a HR department? If so, there is a law in place that will allow you to take a medical leave of absence and your work is not allowed to fire you when you return. So you will have your job. Have you been to any NA meetings? I would check them out. If you are not into the 12 step route, then I would look into SMART Recovery. It is a scientific based recovery program. I really like it. They have a workbook that you can buy online, or at the meetings. In the book, it teaches you how to cope with urges and cravings, build and maintain motivation for sobriety, and live a balanced lifestyle. Would this be your first time detoxing from heroin and trying to get clean? If that's the case, in my experience, I wish I would have stayed with it and gotten clean the first time around. The first time I tried I was clean for 2 months until I started using again. The first time I detoxed, the withdrawls were bad but every time they get worse and worse. When I first detoxed, I had just flu like symptoms. It was shitty and all, but now after years of using and detoxing multiple times, my withdrawls are absolutely horrible. Since I shoot up about 4 times a day I start getting dope sick after a couple of hours. I'm non-stop throwing up/dry heaving and now I've started to have seizures, along with all of my other withdrawl symptoms. I really hope you decide to begin your road to recovery. The longer you stay in the dope game the harder it is to get out. If you need anything or want to talk please feel free to message me!! I am open ears and I can totally relate.
  13. no_way_out

no_way_out Member

I've quit once And was clean for 3 weeks but I went back and the stuff was stronger than I normally had so it kept me going back every Friday to get my supply for the week. Its getting more accessible in my town. I never knew anybody on it but I met people that did it then I had a friend tell me they know somebody who knows the dealer in town etc. So now its worse than before. I don't shoot up never have. I snort it I know its no better for you. Its still the fact that I do it. I get dope sick starting on the 3 rd day. I'm glad I have somebody to relate with besides my besr friend that just started using.
  14. Danyell

@no_way_out whatever you do, please do not start shooting up. I started shooting like around three and a half years ago and it has done soooooo much damage on my body. Pretty much all of my viens are blown or calcified, so I can no longer use them and they don't really come back. I've gotten a crap load of abscesses from reusing needles, even though I said I would never reuse them... But yes, I am very glad that this forum has other heroin addicts. It is nice being able to talk to others who can relate!
  15. no_way_out

no_way_out Member

I know a lot of people have said it before but honestly I could never shoot up. My sons dad did it and his arms looked horrible. I don't wanna have to wear long sleeves in the summer ect. I know a lot of people that shoot up and I could never see myself doing it
  16. Danyell

@no_way_out exactly. When I first started using, I made a firm resolution to never shoot up. Well I obviously ended up doing it. The first time I shot up I accidentally OD'ed. Yeah, I in the same boat at your sons dad. It is my arms, my hands, my feet, legs, and some parts of my neck that just look horrendous. I'm absolutely COVERED in track marks, lumps, abscesses (some healed and others I had to get drained so now there is a huge scar), and bruises. I am seeing this guy and I really don't understand how he thinks I'm pretty. I think I look straight up disgusting. It sucks... I can't tell you how bad I wish that I would have never in my life touched a needle. Or heroin at all of that matter.
  17. no_way_out

no_way_out Member

Heroin is an addiction and before I ever did it I always toldy sons dad he needed to quit and think about his kids but once I snorted it I realized you can't just quit. That first needle or snort automatically has you in the dope game. Ya you know its effecting you and the people around you but you can't just stop ya its possible but it makes you dope sick real bad. && nobody wants to feel like that. That's why me and my ex was so broke when we first got together. Cus he was ALWAYS dope sick!! I didn't know what he meant til a lil later and it sucked. I hate being dope sick. But I'd rather be dope sick than steal that is one thing I would never do...
    I seen this post on Facebook the other day::
    I will ruin Everything
    -heroin
    How true is that. I've lost tons of friends and time with my son has drifted away. Ugh. I wish I would have never joined the dope game either. && sweetheart beyond the dope you are still pretty:)