An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Heroin is slowly destroying my Grandaughter

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Broken Gma, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Broken Gma

Broken Gma Member

2. Broken Gma

Broken Gma Member

Update on my Grandaughter! Had hearing at Drug Court and wad released on 22 !Mom reconsidered and allowed her to return home! She has been attending IOP 3 times a week and 3 NA meetings a week! Taking Naltraxone daily and happy to report 30 days clean yesterday! Optimistic but realistic!
    greybird29, stariie and deanokat like this.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Broken Gma... This is wonderful news! Thirty days clean is a terrific start, and it sounds like drug court has her doing some very good things. I will keep your granddaughter in my thoughts and prayers and wish her nothing but continued success. Thanks for updating us. Never give up hope! :)
    greybird29 likes this.
  4. stariie

stariie Community Champion

Glad to hear that everything is on the upswing. Nobody's perfect, we all stumble and fall, but it's the getting up and pressing on that completes the race.
    Drug addiction is not an easy thing to overcome, but it can be done. Others have done it, your granddaughter can do it to.
    greybird29 likes this.
  5. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

speaking from the Heroin addicts point of view: you are doing all you can humanly do for her. The rest is up to her and God. she has to want help. She also has to hit her bottom. Which may be far different than what you think it should be. I spent 10 years in Prison. In and out of rehabs, jail, etc...... Still wanting to get high. I know God wants way more for your grandaughter than she is giving herself right now. Maybe her jail stay and rehab will give her time to reflect on what she has done. I think your Love and support are wonderful things because most people are not strong enough to continue to support the addict. Keep doing what your doing. Give her to God. Let him work his miracle in her. My Dad was my rock during my using days but he also enabled me. He knew it was wrong and so did I but at the time I didnt care as long as i got what i wanted. God Bless you and your grandaughter, I hope it all works out for you and her.
    kgord and deanokat like this.
  6. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@pstrong1969... Thanks for this insightful comment. We're glad you're a part of this community.
    pstrong1969 likes this.
  7. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I am so sorry you are going through this broken GMA. I hope you never give up on your grand daughter because you may be the only person in her court at this time. I hope you read the book that DeanOKat recommended. It is something that hopefully will help you. I think sitting down with your grand daughter and telling her how you feel will help. I am not religious, but nonetheless, I will say a prayer for you. I think you need it.
    deanokat likes this.
  8. greybird29

greybird29 Active Contributor

Woo Hoo congratulations very happy for y’all that your Granddaughter is out of jail and doing so much better; striving to overcome a demon.Heroin is such a life taker over; it is evil consumes the body, mind and soul often leaving the user only in death.
    My daughter is a recovering addict she gave us about 5 years of terrifying worry; many events led us to this point however she seems “mostly” clean for over a year. I feel certain she has drunk a few times and smoked weed; thankful that was all! I am an optimist and try to expect the best in all situations. She is a tyrant and I worry every time she goes out with “her friends” that she just may slip over the border. Best wishes to you, your Granddaughter and family through this long powerful journey.
    deanokat likes this.
  9. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

So glad to hear your grandaughter is on the road to her recovery. Thats awesome for her and yuour family.
    deanokat likes this.
  10. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

So sorry you are going through this Broken Gma! It is very painful. It sounds like you want to help but maybe you are worrying too much about her situation. As you said you can't make it change, all you can do is try to decide how to best support her without enabling.

I'd say just try to spend some time with her and keep it neutral. Pressure to change doesn't help any addict, she will come to heal on her own or not but there is not much you can do besides love her. I wish you the best of luck with this!
    deanokat likes this.