An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Hi All!

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by MichelleVL, Oct 6, 2015.

1. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

Hi everyone. Thanks for the warm welcome Joseph. I'm here because my brother is recovering from drug addiction, and I would like to better understand what he is going through, so that I may help him through his recovery.
  2. BrandonA

BrandonA Active Contributor

You've come to a great place. It's exciting to see someone that dedicated to beating alcoholism. I hope any advice or support herein helps you both.
  3. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

@MichelleVL: Welcome to the forum and I hope your brother gets recovered soon. there are many threads and sections that you can read to boost your knowledge about this matter and please feel free to ask us any question.
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Welcome to the forum so glad that you found us. I hope that your brother will realize soon that he has a problem and will seek that help that he needs. There is so much information and advice on this forum. I am sure you will find the answer to many of the questions you have. All the best to you and your brother.
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@MichelleVL... Welcome to our community. I'm so glad you've come here to help and support your brother. What a great sister you must be! There are so many wonderful, caring, non-judgmental people here. I'm confident that you will learn a lot. Again, welcome!
    Steve Dawson likes this.
  6. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Welcome!! Hope you find the help you need, I'm sure you will as there is plenty of information and advice here.
    deanokat likes this.
  7. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

Welcome! Thank you for standing for your brother and being a support line for him. You will find a great community here and tons of encouragement. You've come to the right place for sure!
    deanokat likes this.
  8. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

@MichelleVL Hello and welcome to this forum! I do appreciate for your concern to your brother to help him in his struggle to drug addiction. You had came to the right place and you will really learn a lot in this forum. All the best of luck!
    deanokat likes this.
  9. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Hi and Welcome!
    What addiction is your brother recovering from?
    How have you found this forum so far??
  10. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

How are you, @MichelleVL I do hope that your brother will also find his need to stop his addiction for a better quality of life. You have come to the right place while you help him find peace, solace and freedom. Be strong, friend. Take care! :)
    deanokat likes this.
  11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Hello there @MichelleVL! Welcome to the forum. :)

I believe this online community would be able to help you a lot in terms of trying to understand your brother's current situation. I would be rooting for his recovery. All the best!
    deanokat likes this.
  12. MichelleVL

Sorry just read this. I've been out for a few days. Thank you very much for your kind words. They have really reached my heart.
    deanokat likes this.
  13. MichelleVL

Thank you as well to everyone for your warm welcome. It feels great to finally find a group that I can identify with. My brother started smoking weed after my parents got divorced. Everything was fine because he started of slow. He would do it just once in a while with his friends like many teenagers do. Later on he started doing it every day, even if he was by himself. Late one night he totaled his car while under the influence and became very depressed after that. His consumption continued to increase. One day he tried something different ( we never could figure out what smoked, or ingested) and he totally lost it. He started hearing voices, started getting paranoid and felt like everyone was out to get him. My mom and dad joined forces and got him into rehab in another state, but he kept escaping the facility and ended up in the streets, and one time in the hospital. One day the rehab facility called my parents and let them know that they had given up and that they had dropped him off at the airport. My mom had to take the earliest flight to get to him. After that it was just a long list of psychiatrists that placed him on different meds, but never really solved the problem. My mom heard of a great doctor in Dominican Republic that could maybe help him so we flew there. During our stay there he was diagnosed with depression, bipolar disorder, and the beginning stages of schizophrenia. He was institutionalized over the weekend, and when he came out, he was a lot better. He was finally stable again. Better than what I had seen him in a while. The psychiatrist explained that the prolonged use of marijuana affected his brain because since he had ADHD as a child that he was weaker that regular people or more prone to develop disorders because he was already defective (I don't know the veracity of this).
  14. MichelleVL

We stayed in the Dominican Republic for almost a year after that. He would go to therapy, narcotic anonymous groups and his psychiatrist which had him on treatment, and would give him shots every couple of months to keep him stable. When he no longer needed the shots the doctor prescribed medication that could be found in the US so that he could continue on the road to recovery. I know Lithium was one of them. He is no longer in medication now and is stable I guess. He is back in school, continues to go to NA meetings and is doing alright, but I look at him sometimes and I feel like he is depressed, but he won't want to talk about it. He also refuses to go to therapy. We used to be best friends, and it hurts to see him sad. He had such an amazing future ahead of him. He was a great writer and was studying cinematography. He even made it into a few movies as extras (one of them was Fast and the Furious 5). Now everything has been left behind, because he thinks he's damaged goods and doesn't feel like he can do it anymore. A few days ago he said he was moving out, but he doesn't have a job, or a place to stay. Fortunately my mom talked him out of it. I'm not even sure of what she said to him. I've tried giving him space, but that's not working. Any advice on how I could reach him again?
  15. MichelleVL

I'm sorry I forgot to add something in response to one of the above messages. So far I'm really liking this site. I'm a cigarette smoker myself, and I want to quit but don't know how. Here I've been able to find other fellow smokers, and people that overcame the addiction and how they managed to do it. These tips have been helping me a lot. I haven't been able to go for 24 hours without smoking, but the tips HAVE helped me cut back al0t. Thanks you guys.
    deanokat and Steve Dawson like this.
  16. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Hi there too and welcome to the forum. :)
    Good thing you are able to cut back on your smoking and hope that you can finally totally get rid of the addiction. It is possible to do just like the others who have did that.
    MichelleVL and deanokat like this.
  17. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Community Champion

Hey Michelle, I'm a former heavy smoker myself, I failed numerous times to stop but when I finally succeeded, it was after I had cut right down, from 3 packs a day to just two cigarettes a day, you're already on the road to recovering from that demon. I'm very sorry to hear the problems that your brother has had. There are plenty of experienced and wise people here who can help you to help him and we are all here to listen and support both of you. All the best and nice to meet you.
    MichelleVL and deanokat like this.
  18. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Michelle, welcome to the forum. It's my nephews smoking weed that caused me the join the forum. Like you I was looking for answers and I got much more knowledge than I bargained for. For that I am eternally grateful. I am sorry I don't have the answers for your particular situation. How do you reach him? All I can encourage is that you be there for him which based on what you have shared you are doing. Maybe in time you will get your best friend back. Time has a way of healing most things.

I hope he is able to get back to writing. Maybe you can encourage him in this regard without being pushy. I think he has a gem of a sister. With your own smoking I am sure there are several here who can offer you some practical advice. Welcome again.
    deanokat and MichelleVL like this.
  19. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Hi Michelle, and I think you will find this forum helpful. A lot of people who belong here have "been there" in one way or another. There is a lot of good advice and support available from the members here and I think you will find the type of feedback you need and can use. It is simply one of the things that you may be able to take advantage of when you go to this forum and get the feedback and support from others that is helpful.
    deanokat and MichelleVL like this.
  20. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Welcome aboard @MichelleVL ! I hope this forum will provide you with what you're looking for and inspire you to support and better understand your brother. The members are more than willing to assist you or answer your queries. You are very much free to ask questions or share your sentiments. See you around!
    deanokat likes this.