An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Hi All!

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by MichelleVL, Oct 6, 2015.

1. serenity

serenity Community Champion

What type of drug addiction does your bro suffer from? I think you will find a lot of resource and info here, and of course moral support to aid you in your brother's recovery. I wish you all the best!
  2. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

Hi Zaerine, thanks for the welcome. In the short time I've been here, I've learned of tools to help with the addiction. I hope I can gather the strength to get through it. Thanks again.
    deanokat likes this.
  3. MichelleVL

Thanks so much Steve. I'm so happy that you were able to overcome the smoking. It's so darn hard for me. What tricks or what changes did you make in your life to be able to cut down on the smoking? I've tried the cold turkey thing and it's definitely not for me. I know everyone stops in their own way, and I think the gradual approach will be best in my case. Sorry another question, what did you use to handle stress without the help of cigarettes?
  4. MichelleVL

Thank you much Winterybella. I'm sorry to here about your nephew as well. Although I'm not glad about your situation, I'm glad that there are people like you in this site that understand what my family is going through. I know all experiences in life mold us and change us, but I wish I could a least get a little part of my old brother back.
  5. MichelleVL

Thanks for the welcome, and for being here for me Kgord. :)
    deanokat likes this.
  6. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Community Champion

I eventually gave up personally after reading Allen Carrs 'Easy way to give smoking'. It is a cold-turkey approach, but it worked for me, its a book that'll take you an hour or two at most to read, so you might like to check it out, your local library should hopefully have a copy. If you've got any kind of active or sporting interests, gradually moving over to these pursuits will help you appreciate greater health more and reduce the psychological need to smoke as well. Stress is best handled for me by just working on reducing it, taking time out for myself, eating healthily and trying to remain positive at all times.
    MichelleVL likes this.
  7. Jordan94

Jordan94 Active Contributor

Hello everyone. I'm new here. I really like this site. I think it really helps people struggling with addiction. I've had family members that are going through it right now, and I plan on showing this to them. I'm so glad I found this website.
    deanokat and MichelleVL like this.
  8. MichelleVL

Thank you Steve. I will definitely be checking out that book. Thank you so much for the advice. I noticed that when I stay really busy, and surround myself with non-smokers, I smoke less. I'll give your tips a try and I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!
    Steve Dawson likes this.
  9. MichelleVL

Hi Jordan94! Welcome to the site! I'm sorry to hear about your family. I'm dealing with troubles in the family front as well. You've come to the right place. I'm pretty new here myself and the show of support has been amazing. Good luck, and I hope you find what you're looking for.
  10. MichelleVL

I'm sorry Jordan, if you don't mind me asking, what is your story? Maybe we can help.