An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Hi. I'm new here

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by RecoveringLife1, Jun 8, 2018.

1. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

So glad to hear you're still sober, @RecoveringLife1! Getting through those birthdays and not drinking is a big achievement! (BTW, I hope you had a great birthday!)

Sorry to hear about your knee pain. Even though you're not crazy about the exercises you've been given, maybe try them for a while and see how your knee reacts to them. I think going to the pool would be a great thing, too.

Keep at it. One day at a time. And encourage your boyfriend, too. It's great that he's not drinking as much.

We're here for you. Anytime. Happy to be part of your support network!
    True concern and RecoveringLife1 like this.
  2. RecoveringLife1

RecoveringLife1 Senior Contributor

At first, I didn't have a great birthday, but my boyfriend saw how upset I was and tried to make me feel better.
    The only time my knee doesn't hurt is when I don't do anything lol. Been on vacation from school and work and my knee pain is at 2 on the scale now.
    We thought about joining a gym. I don't have room to workout at home anymore because I moved the furniture around in my bedroom. I tried exercising outside but it's too hot for that
  3. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

@RecoveringLife1 hey there! doing good here! sounds like you're doing quite well... great that you don't miss alcohol that much and that your bf has cut down!! that's progress! you sound quite motivated to better your life on all sorts of levels. good for you! and thank you for the update! your progress definitely inspires others who read here...

have a wonderful evening!
  4. True concern

True concern Moderator

The exercise they have you doing for your knee are very important and the stretches they have you do are epually important.It helps loosen ligaments and tendoins which must function at full capacity before you can safely build muscle tone,because no matter how strong any body part is you cant use those muscles to their max potential unless your ligaments and tendoins allow for full mobility.I struggle with this but i cut out my running altogether as i was told "If you want to be 100% again dont move for six weeks then surgery and rehab"Its veryhard for me not to run....i mean WOW i cant explain how emotional it is because my running was my technique in strengthening my sobriety as well as dealing with my anxiety and anger.I have taken @Dominica advice in something similar to meditation and i as well hit the swimming pool which actually works all my muscles.Swimming is like amazing AB exercise as well it helps with breathing control and focus in situations which cause panic.Controlled breathing sooo important and of course HAPPY BIRTHDAY YOUNG LADY.Stay Strong and God Bless.Im really happy to see you back i will admit............I MISSED YOU
  5. RecoveringLife1

Yea I get it for sure. It does suck to not be able to do something that is improving you as a being. I'm glad that you've mentioned the stretching part. I forgot to post stretching the body part you work out. I used to do this when I would do position of flexion. I'll edit that after this comment. Have you considered trying herbs to help keep you on track with your sobriety? I've tried kratom and it works wonders. It helps wean people off of recreational drugs. The government is trying to convince the country that it's similar to a class 1 drug (which it isn't). The thing is, they've found kratom in the systems of people who have overdosed (combination of recreational and prescription drugs). They assume it's a problem like weed. The same exact scenario. You would have to really want to kill yourself in order to die from weed or kratom. The sides effects from kratom is it gives you a headache or makes you dizzy and causes vomiting if you take more than recommended. So if you throw up, how can you overdose? It makes no sense. That's a different ball game. I'm just giving you options to look into. If you don't want to try it, I understand. It's not for everyone. I'm not going to lie, I've missed you guys too!!!
  6. RecoveringLife1

Wow guys!!! I just saw on tv that Demi Lovato went to the hospital for a heroin overdose. It really touches my heart and I feel so bad. I was just listening to her songs. I'm a big fan of hers (since her Disney days) :(
  7. Dominica

so glad you are finding some good with swimming and such! yay! and ab exercises!
    RecoveringLife1 and True concern like this.
  8. Dominica

wow. that is sad... very sad... she's so talented. i hope she makes it and is able to get help for her addiction!
    RecoveringLife1 likes this.
  9. RecoveringLife1

Wouldn't it be cool if she was on this site?
    True concern and Dominica like this.
  10. Dominica

@RecoveringLife1 yes, hope she shows up here (in addition to her professional help) :)
    RecoveringLife1 likes this.
  11. True concern

True concern Moderator

You would probably be surprised if you knew just how many famous people are on this site
    Dominica and RecoveringLife1 like this.
  12. True concern

True concern Moderator

I read some of Eminem story after he got his ten year chip and it blew my mind....his story is nearly identical to mine all the way down to the treadmill to stay sober.
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  13. RecoveringLife1

I wonder if anyone that's famous on the site are people I've heard of before :confused:
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  14. True concern

True concern Moderator

Oh sh×t you broke out the funniest emoji.In sure the answer is yes :eek:
  15. Dominica

ya'll are cracking me up with the emoji's..... had a LONG LONG drive today and was thinking of ya'll..... hope you had a great day!
  16. RecoveringLife1

You guys know enough about me now to see I'm a very goofy person. I'm glad you had a safe drive. Today makes the third day I've been exercising. Hitting the gym tomorrow
    deanokat, Dominica and True concern like this.
  17. True concern

True concern Moderator

How is that exercise going:confused:?I shouldn't have but I took off running a little over 2 hour's ago because a friend nearly lost his brother in law to a relapse overdose so I talked back and forth with him on what to do.Ambulance was necessary to save his life and I just took off running I don't know what else to do Im over this bedrest crap.I didn't run 4 miles but I did run 1.5 its a compromise is how I see ito_Oo_O
    deanokat likes this.
  18. True concern

True concern Moderator

:eek:Glad you had a safe drive,did it take a lot of coffee:confused:?
  19. True concern

True concern Moderator

Im very silly myself when the mood is right but I can switch gear's quickly.When talking to addicts who are obviously just completely trapped and confused Im super outspoken from my heart and if it's a lite mood,no stress Im just well I say dumb sh×t a lot and usually Im the only one laughing. ...Sometime-often this happens at the wrong time
  20. RecoveringLife1

It's going pretty good. I started out with full body workouts (10 minutes) :rolleyes:. Wow!!! That's crazy. I hope he makes it out okay :(. How do you feel after running?
    deanokat and True concern like this.