An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Hi. I'm new here

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by RecoveringLife1, Jun 8, 2018.

1. True concern

True concern Moderator

Like running some more :confused::confused:but I can't not because I can't but I want my surgery to go well, everytime I run I risk damaging my knee for life so I do my best to do this bedrest but I mean seriously 6 weeks in bed SOBER is absolute torture minus all the weird painful gadgets that torture usually requires:eek::eek:
    RecoveringLife1 and Dominica like this.
  2. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

awesome!!! exercise can be so therapeutic!
  3. Dominica

one cup of coffee. :) i have cut my coffee from 3 to 2 cups a day and this was my goal for now :)
  4. Dominica

i did a 2 mile walk race over the weekend! :) my sister was running the 5k and wanted me to do this with her. i couldn't run, but had fun walking with my niece! i do miss competition....
  5. True concern

True concern Moderator

Competition is great,but I've always hated 2nd place. ...That's kinda how I messed up my knee at my age and wheight when I first went to the gym day "1"I ran 4 miles because I thought I was on the high school track team still lol
  6. RecoveringLife1

RecoveringLife1 Senior Contributor

Is that amount of coffee causing any side effects?

Doing marathons take about a year for a beginner to get prepared for so I don't think I could ever do one lmao

Well you just didn't build your body up to it. That's all
  7. Dominica

Coffee. i'm not sure if it's causing side effects???? hope not! ;)

@True concern why do you think you have to be first? lol the thing is, there are other ways we could still compete if we can't run.... let's start a new thread stating how we can :)
    True concern likes this.
  8. RecoveringLife1

I was just wondering why you're cutting down the amount of coffee you drink
  9. Dominica

oh, just for personal preference... ideally, i only want to drink one cup per day... giving up the 2nd cup means less creamer (calories and sugar) and caffeine, which i feel would be beneficial.

do you drink coffee?
  10. True concern

True concern Moderator

I don't know honestly but if I were to try and psycho analyze myself I guess it comes from my youth as all through school I was on First honor roll with a few second honor roll's and it left me feeling defeated even though now I understand they were both "Honor's"I have zero family members who went to college and that drove me to be the "First"and unfortunately drug's came into my life before I could even graduate high school and I only needed 17 credits to go with a g.p.a.of 3.43 at the time.I also ran track in junior high and high school and I always came in second place to the same team mate by a few seconds.I assume I never allowed myself room to grow as I felt I should've always been the best. As far as starting a new thread to discuss ways to win and or achieve without being first,if it's created I will comment but I haven't ever really thought about it till now,this probably has a lot to do with why Im so hard on myself and can't seem to forgive myself for the hurt I've caused other's while I was using,though many have said they forgive me for certain thing's I have an impossible time forgiving myself because I know I could have done better.It's a tough question to answer honestly because it's hard to live with memories that make me hate myself, I don't hate myself but I am certainly still filled with a lot of shame and disgust for what addiction convinced me was OK at the time. ...this is a very hard one for me that's all I got for now.
  11. Dominica

we're all on a "self-love" and "worthiness" journey... it's part of life's journey. some tougher than others, and it's a process... grateful for your progress. one, you're not using now. two, you are "doing the work" to heal, make amends, give back, etc. you're very motivated in recovery...with so much to give others...

“The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely.”
    C.G. Jung

I find this quote interesting. We are so hard on ourselves....and fear fully loving (and forgiving) our "selves". but the past is done. gone... so really we have a choice to stay tormented by it or begin living in the present, moment by moment... today, focus on today. the "you" that used and hurt others?? wasn't the "real you".

the "real you" is flawless :)
  12. True concern

True concern Moderator

It is a very interesting quote for sure
    deanokat likes this.
  13. RecoveringLife1

Yes I drink one cup of coffee a day. Now I see why some people say no sugar because it causes me to be very anxious and irritable

I also take probiotics, gingko and gingseng when I first wake up. Between once or twice a day, I drink the generic brand of Metamucil. It works the same as the name brand. I don't know why I should have to pay $20 when I can use the exact same thing for half the price. That's another thing. I always had digestion issues and drinking helped with that as well. Crazy world
    Dominica likes this.
  14. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

15. RecoveringLife1

Since recently, I have never tried them. I've been taking them for the past few weeks now though. With the probiotics I'm taking now, the coffee and fiber, my digestive system has improved a lot

I've also been working out lately and I really want to join a gym, but it's so expensive. I went last night with my boyfriend to the Y and I love the atmosphere but it's $55 a month. I was like "whoooa". There's a guest card we can use three times for free though. It's also a little drive as well. They have a college membership for $25, but I'm taking a semester off this year so I can't use that right now
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  16. Dominica

@RecoveringLife1 is there an anytime fitness around? they are super affordable.
    deanokat likes this.
  17. RecoveringLife1

Yes. Very close actually. I've looked them up but unfortunately, work is slow right now and I have to pay bills so the gym is on the back burner
    Dominica likes this.