An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Hi. My name is Ale and I have been clean for two years.

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by AleFirmani, May 17, 2015.

1. AleFirmani

AleFirmani Member

Hello All!
    I wanted to take a little time to introduce myself to the forum. My name is Alessandra or Ale' for short and I battled alcoholism and addiction, specifically opiate addiction since I was a teenager up until I was twenty seven years old. My life has hit rock bottom and so I decided to try the one thing I had not before and move 3,500 miles away from the Baltimore Maryland area to Italy.
    There is alot of information that I will no go into detail about but I had run up a horrendous list of charges in Maryland and I had nothing left for me there. When I was little I was granted dual citizenship and I had no idea how much that would benefit me later in life. I got the opportunity that most addicts dream of. A fresh start with no ruined credit or criminal past. A family home to stay in while I make my transition from waste of space to full on responsible adult. I did not let this opportunity go to waste. Italy also has socialized medical coverage meaning all of my treatment and medical costs would be free from the moment I claimed residency there. Within the first week of being here, I found a wonderful psychiatrist to help with my underlying bipolar disorder and got on a Methadone Maintenance Treatment that got my withdrawals squared away.
    Two years later I have tapered down my methadone tremendously and hope to be off of it entirely with in upcoming 12 months and my bipolar has been under control for the better part of my time here. I know methadone is controversial in the recovery world but I am not ashamed to say I was not ready to go cold turkey and methadone allowed me the time I needed to come to terms with the fact that I would never be able to use opiates recreationally again. I have never abused or sold my methadone and have tested clean for the entire two years I have been on it. It worked for me. What else can I say? I now have weekly take homes and am at half my original dose.
    The medical system in Italy is not as corrupt as Big Pharma in the states and I think this has alot to do with their successful methadone treatment centers. Maybe your opinion is different but like I have said, it worked for me.
    Thank you for taking the time to read about me. I am very happy to be joining a new recovery forum and hope I can help others and learn from others as well.
    Rainman likes this.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Welcome aboard, Ale.

You certainly came to the right place. Not only can you learn and gain inspiration from others who've been where you are now but advice you can offer can also help others [since your experiences bestow upon you knowledge that can be helpful].

Congrats for choosing to fight your addiction and I hope that in time, as you work towards being totally drug-free, you'll cut out methadone from your life completely.

All the best!
  3. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Moving to Italy was a wise decision as it enabled you to start with a clean state in an environment that doesn't heavily remind you of your past. As a third party who neither lives in America nor in Italy, it's hard to tell which medical system is more efficient but I guess you know better. If your recovery at present is any indicator, then all the more reason to congratulate yourself for making that decision. You did well.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Welcome to the forum, @AleFirmani. I'm so glad to hear that you've made such a great change in your life. It sounds like you made a very good decision to move to Italy. It's nice that that option was available to you. Best of luck to you as you continue down the recovery path?
  5. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

Hi And warm welcome @AleFirmani Thank you for trusting us with your story. We do take careful care of what's being shared here. This community listens, we care for fellow human beings. Honesty in love for one another is so much a part of our purpose here. I am very excited with you when you get off Methadone treatment very soon. Be strong. Be very brave. You can do it! The path ahead is very clear, good and hopeful.

Researched "bipolar disorder", and psychiatric Methadone prescriptions, and Methadone substitute. I do trust that you will look into the links? And then, ask and challenge your psychiatrist about natural alternative.

I look forward to hearing more from you, @AleFirmani I will be thinking of you.
    deanokat likes this.
  6. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

Welcome to this forum @AleFirmani. Thank you for sharing your story of addiction and subsequent recovery. You'll find like-minded people and support here for sure. After all, we are all on journeys. Might as well as help each other when the going gets tough. The path of recovery is hard to stay on. But, with some willpower and help, you can maintain sobriety. Continue your treatments and visits, and you are well on your way to becoming a non-addict.
    deanokat likes this.
  7. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I'm glad that you are now living a good, clean, and improved life there in Italy. I didn't know that Italy had many wonderful benefits, and it has contributed to a lot of your significant improvements in life. Thank you for sharing your story, this will inspire other recovering addicts to do the same.
    deanokat likes this.
  8. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

You have actually sent me to research methadone as I am unfamiliar with the drug. Whatever the case AleFurmani, I am just thrilled that you got the opportunity to have a new start and even more excited that you are making the best of of it. I wish you continued success and look forward to reading more about your progress. Welcome and thank you for inviting us into your life by sharing your story.
    deanokat likes this.
  9. queend17

queend17 Active Contributor

Well looks like you found the right place and I hope that your story manages to reach out to all of those people out there suffering from addiction, and it helps them see the light of wanting to drop their addiction and repair their lives...
    deanokat likes this.
  10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Hello there, @AleFirmani! Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing. :) Wow, it's really great to hear that you have now been clean for around two years. Kudos to you for a job well done! And I am glad that the treatment you have went through in Italy totally worked for you. I wish you all the best. Keep being an inspiration to other struggling/recovering addicts out there.
    deanokat likes this.
  11. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Hi Ale. Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your story. Congratulations on your move and on getting your life back. That is a huge accomplishment and something to be very proud of. I am glad that you had that option of moving to Italy and having a fresh start. What a great opportunity that was for you. Call the best on getting off the methadone. I wish you all the best! Keep up the good work!
    deanokat likes this.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Welcome to the forum and good to know that you are able to achieved that. :)
    So nice to read success stories like yours and you can really motivate or inspire others that might be struggling with addiction.
    deanokat likes this.
  13. artyarson

artyarson Active Contributor

Hello and welcome to the forum! We all glad to see you here, at least me.
    deanokat likes this.
  14. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

Reading this made me incredibly happy. So glad you were able to get a fresh start.

Also jealous, because I want to go to Italy someday ;)
    deanokat likes this.
  15. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

@AleFirmani Hello and welcome to this forum! Just continue to have that postitive motivation to recover yourself form your alcoholism. Good luck on your new life in your new environment and always remember that there are still better days to come into your life.
    deanokat likes this.
  16. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Hi there, @AleFirmani Thanks a lot for sharing your story with us, I'm glad to hear that moving to Italy really helped you leave everything else behind and have a better life. Kudos to you, keep that up!
    deanokat likes this.