An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Hiding Addiction from Loved Ones

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by lonewolves, Jun 4, 2018.

1. True concern

True concern Moderator

I couldn't agree more,addiction only want's one thing and that's everything you are or ever could be.Beautiful dog and the lady in the picture is not bad looking either
    deanokat likes this.
  2. Cametobelieve0202

Cametobelieve0202 Community Champion

Lol thanks I thought Stella should be the featured as my profile. She was a gift from my parents and fiancé for my 18 months sober :)
    lonewolves, deanokat and True concern like this.
  3. True concern

True concern Moderator

Congratulations on your18 month's that's awesome,i have along ways to go before i get there but by the time i do i will probably run about 3'000miles lol.Stella does look comfortable in her socks i just picture her sliding every where on a hard wood floor.
    deanokat and Josh111187 like this.
  4. Cametobelieve0202

Thank you but 18 months was awhile ago. I’ve had her almost 3 years now. On July 2nd I’ll have 4 and a half years sober. Time for a new puppy? And yes she absolutely hates the socks but they’re just too cute!
    lonewolves and deanokat like this.
  5. True concern

True concern Moderator

Wow 4 and a half years...That's definitely a goal i will shot for,i figure by then i should've ran around the planet twice lol but seriously congratulations that's something to be proud of for sure
    lonewolves and deanokat like this.
  6. Cametobelieve0202

Thanks, I am very glad you have become such a big part of this forum. I know you are helping lots of people by telling your story and sharing your insight. I am a little worried about your running, we as addicts have a tendency to become a little obsessive right? I thought I read a post where you talked about that all your running was hurting your knee. Anyway I hope your not over doing it. But if it’s helping keep you sober that’s a good thing. Also remember sobriety is also about good self care, we had been abusing our bodies while we were using, it’s time we take good care of them now :)
    deanokat likes this.
  7. True concern

True concern Moderator

Yes you did read that,i am waiting on knee surgery but i keep running.I rely on it for sure it helps me release my anger and rage.I am having a hell of a time trying to learn to sleep again,it sounds so easy but i literally just created a new thread seeking advice on how to sleep.I've ran 12.08 miles in 36 hours and considering another 4 right now at midnight.It's hard to explain why i run other than i joke at times im trying to outrun the thing's I've done and the pain I've caused but honestly it's not a joke,i feel such anger in myself a fire builds inside and i take off running,i don't know how i will get past this but i can only anticipate my next move right before i make it and after 20 years of drug use it's what my mind expects so i get pissed off and run...I don't know what else to do
    lonewolves, deanokat and Josh111187 like this.
  8. Josh111187

Josh111187 Community Champion

"Run Forest, Run!", aynd, so iye did.
    True concern and deanokat like this.
  9. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@CMMW... Congrats on your 4.5 years! Amazing accomplishment, my friend! Just keep going!
    True concern likes this.
  10. True concern

True concern Moderator

Ya i know lol,i will never catch that dude...I don't know how his shoes didn't start smoking
    Josh111187 likes this.
  11. jai

jai Member

I relate. My dad is the only person in my family that knows my whole story. I've kept my addiction private. Like I been reading in these forms there's a stigma around heroin addicts. The guy Im seeing right now has watched to many moves or something because he thought I would do ANYTHING for a fix because heroin is crazy addicting. I did some real crazy **** and I'm very lucky I didn't end up in prison or dead. I drew a line as to how far I would go to get high. Not a lot of peole understand that. I also don't want my friends telling my story because it's my story to tell. I will be honest if I'm asked but I'm not volunteering information to friends and family that wouldn't understand.
    Congrats on ur recovery
    True concern, deanokat and lonewolves like this.
  12. jai

jai Member

I'm having issues with the NA groups in my area. I did 90 in 90 I few times in recovery. I've had a lot of bad experiences with some of the leaders of these AA and NA meetingso in my area. I got clean on my own this last time and this is the longest I've been clean. I don't think aboutique going back out this time. I have a better relationship with my kids and family.
    I do want to make a difference I'm also looking into being a drug counselor. Dose anyone have information how to become a Counselor?
    deanokat and lonewolves like this.
  13. lonewolves

lonewolves Community Champion

I think it’s beautiful that you want to help others! I wish I had advice for it, but I’m up in Canadaland! I hope someone else here is able to get you some info so you can follow your dream.
    deanokat likes this.
  14. jai

jai Member

Your in canada? I'm in Michigan I might be going to Niagara Falls this summer. My friend was not allowed in Canada because of a felony he had 10yrs ago. I'm kinda nervous. I had some real big problems a few yrs ago I'm afaid I'm going to have a problem at the border. Also I read about the treamental you have for opiates. I was going to go to the rehab in Windsor. The ibogain tratment
    deanokat likes this.
  15. lonewolves

lonewolves Community Champion

I can understand your worry, because even though I know I won’t have any trouble at the border, I’m still nervous af to go over it. But I have anxiety about everything. I live a couple of minutes drive from the Alaskan border, and it’s such a small town that there is no American customs, only Canadian customs when you come back to Canada. At least that means half the anxiety when I go over.
  16. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I'm in Michigan, too, @jai!
  17. Cametobelieve0202

They say take what you like and leave the rest
  18. Cametobelieve0202

Wisconsin over here! :)
    deanokat likes this.