An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Hillary Clinton on Substance Abuse

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Liv6, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Liv6

Liv6 Member

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2015/...n-drug-abuse-and-mental-illness-at-n-h-event/

While I am not going to necessarily vote for her in the upcoming election, I believe that the steps she is taking towards helping those dealing with substance abuse is gallant. It's about time that politicians seeking to win a role in the government acknowledge everyday citizens who are battling with a very real problem: addiction. I would like to see other presidential candidates' stance on this issue. I hope that, in the near future, there will be less incarceration and more rehabilitation. What are your thoughts on this?
    Rosyrain likes this.
  2. harold

harold Community Champion

You are right, there should be less incarceration and more rehabilitation. People who abuse substances need help. The worst thing you can do for them is to lock them up in jail. Most of them always find a way to continue taking these substances while in jail. There are people who go to jail clean and come out as addicts. I strongly believe that rehabilitation is better than incarceration. The candidates need to talk about this. Many of them will be concerned that they might be criticized for being "soft" on substance abuse, but this mentality is wrong. People who abuse substances do not find the pleasure to do so, they are caught up into this world. I hope that there are candidates who are willing to wake up for this and boldly recommend reasonable proposals that can help those who are abusing substances. This is an everyday problem affecting many people and should not be minimized in any way.
    Rosyrain likes this.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The government should be doing more to fight drug abuse. Since their war on drugs has been a colossal failure, the funds should be used instead to rehabilitate addicts and educate kids and young people about addiction and its effects.

Small-time pushers however deserve a jail term in addition to rehabilitation. They deserve to pay for ruining the lives of the few whom they sell drugs to.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Addiction needs to be treated as a health problem, not a criminal problem. Putting drug users in jail is not the answer, and it never will be.
    MyDigitalpoint and kassie1234 like this.
  5. Liv6

Liv6 Member

I feel as though society as a whole is leaning toward this whole "rehabilitation instead of incarceration" idea and that the candidates will indeed talk about this, especially in light of the legalization of marijuana in certain states. The world today is far more liberal than that of prior years, and so I think that in order to garner more support for their election, the presidential hopefuls will have to cater to what the citizens want to hear on this issue. However, the main question still remains: What will the next president do in office concerning this health problem? It has been left unaddressed for far too long.
    harold likes this.
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I too think no matter your political stance, her view right now on the approach we should be having on the battle of addiction is refreshing.

Throwing people in a cell for using drugs doesn't do anything in terms of getting to the root cause of the problem - if anything I think it just exacerbates it and means it's more likely for that person to turn to drugs again once they are out. A focus on mental health, on rehabilitation, and on pathways to move forward (such as stable employment) without drugs being a part of life is crucial.
    Liv6 and harold like this.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While I agree with the sentiment, I'd be very doubtful about what any candidate says on the run up to an election, and would take it all with a pinch of salt.

At the end of the day they will say and do anything in order to win your vote. What happens after they get elected, usually isn't what they promised.
  8. MrAmazingMan1

MrAmazingMan1 Active Contributor

Drugs are more of a health issue than that worth of criminal punishment. It is illegal however we aren't helpthing these people by locking them up.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I hope more and more politicians would do the same thing as what Hilary Clinton did. Addiction and substance abuse are definitely major issues in the world. We should never overlook and underestimate its power, its negative power. Rather, we should start looking for ways to battle and overcome them.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I agree that the governments should do something and more to solve the addiction/drugs problem. Addiction/drugs problem could also leads to other problems not just in a community but in a whole country such as crimes and health problems.
  11. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I'd love it if she won, I'd love to see a female president... so many countries have female presidents, it's amazing the US has never had one. Plus I think it's great she is thinking about all those addicts, one of the US' biggest issues is the high drug abuse index among its population. It's crazy, but so many Americans are addicted to drugs, it keeps increasing and increasing, specially drugs like heroine! Something needs to be done about this. I'm glad someone is thinking of this, this is a huge problem that needs to be tackled in order to have a better America.
  12. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

Addiction is everyone's problem and more politicians should be paying attention. Many of their family members are also addicts and they usually try to hide them away. It is much better to be transparent and let the world know where you are coming from, that you are real and able to understand what people are going through. No-one is immune to this problem.
  13. norms options

norms options Active Contributor

You are right on point with this one deanokat. We have been increasingly putting more drug users and dealers in prison since Nancy Reagan started to war on drugs in the 80's and still have just as many problems with it if not more. The only conclusion is that putting them in prison does nothing to resolve the problem.
    deanokat likes this.
  14. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

norms options likes this.
  15. norms options

norms options Active Contributor

Wow!! this is so sad. Very well written article deanokat. I really feel for Mr. Wershe, and those who speculate that he squealed on the wrong people have probably hit the nail directly on the head. What a sad state of affairs our country is in when we are ruled by our own governments under mafia law. I hope the best for him and I think this is a huge incentive to decriminalize these types of offenses. If he would have never been put in prison, he would have never had any reason to talk in the first place, which appears to be what is keeping him in prison. So Sad...
    deanokat likes this.
  16. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Drug abuse should be treated more like a disease than a crime. Yes, people commit crimes when they are on drugs, but we need to attack the underlying problem and that is the addiction to drugs. Our focus should be on rehabilitation and not jail time. I am glad that politicians are starting to see this for what it is.
    deanokat likes this.
  17. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Agree with you in both senses, having a female US president for the first time, and having her doing something for the addicts.

If Donald Trump would put some of his money into this problem, we might thing her really cares citizens and not just the spotlight focusing on him.

Even though the dark side of these campaigns is, for how long? Great if they come to stay or to continue, but bad if they are only set as electoral strategy.
    deanokat likes this.
  18. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I really don't know what to think abut Donald right now, he has said some really weird things the last few week o_O I honestly hope he doesn't win, some of his ideas are really bizarre. I hope he is not seriously thinking he can be president D: He seems kinda racist and has insulted a lot people already, lol. I'd be surprised if he won. But then again... I've been surprised before.
    deanokat likes this.
  19. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Yes, the main problem Donald has is that he seems to be against the whole world. Okay, there are many other racists out there starting with Joe Arpaio in Arizona, but while he attacks heavily all immigrants, I have never hear he insults renowned journalists or politicians, much less if they are in the same political party.

Trump seems to not really know what he wants for himself, much less for America, this is why he does not deserve to win because if he will, probably the United States will make more enemies than allies, globally. I guess he's taking elections a a kind of "extended-version" of a TV reality show.
  20. jbepp

jbepp Active Contributor

Hilary has some topics in which she's really on point, but I don't really feel her campaign as something solid. Trump has made some really good points too, but I don't really know if he's really going for it; he sometimes seems like he's just going for impact, even if he doesn't really mean it. I personally won't vote for Hilary but I wish the other candidates would have that kind of plans for the victims of substance abuse.