An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Historical Role Models

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by TommyVercetti, Mar 3, 2015.

1. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

I've always liked the works of modern philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche. While they may seem to have bleak and nihilistic undertones the first time you look at them, Nietzsche's works hide some very optimistic and enlightening messages.

More than his works, I have greater admiration for the man himself. Nietzsche suffered all throughout his life; from physical ailments to affairs of the heart. And yet his works remain optimistic and purposeful. Though his death may be one of the saddest deaths I have ever encountered, I still admire the man because he was dealt with such lousy cards in life, and still remained optimistic. I draw inspiration from that.

Are there any historical figures that inspire you persevere?
  2. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Oh, there are tons for me. A lot of them are from American History, including the Founding Fathers and others. I'm assuming that most people admire someone or someones from history that help keep themselves optimistic about things. I'm a fan of Nietzsche, too, along with a couple of other philosophers. I could even choose some people from fictional works if that was instead the question!
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Helen Keller is a true inspiration. She was deaf and blind from birth , but never did she lose hope, and proved to other people that physical disabilities will not be a hindrance to pursuing your dreams.