An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Hobbies!

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by jbirdx665, Jan 10, 2015.

1. jbirdx665

jbirdx665 Member

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    jeremy2 likes this.
  2. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

I've started working out in the past year. In order to keep it up I can't afford the exhaustion alcohol causes. This isn't just including the hangovers. I notice I have a significantly reduced amount of energy after drinking regularly in a given amount of time. Overall, I don't function as well. So, if I want to gain results along with maintain them I have to give up alcohol.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

My hobby is [would you call it strange?] creating 3D models. Of course I'm still learning which makes it even more fun. Once I fire up the 3D modeling software and start creating something, I don't think about anything else while I concentrate on the 'task' at hand. So yeah, I believe any hobby can help keep your mind off negative stuff.
  4. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

Hobbies are a must in order to get past an addiction. Why do I say they are a must? Because they will keep your body and mind occupied with new stuff. After developing an interest in these things you may find out you actually like it a lot and could help yourself get past certain addictions.
  5. goldenmaine

goldenmaine Active Contributor

Wow that is a very interesting hobby. It is very helpful to have hobbies because we are doing things that are productive and useful unlike engaging in substance abuse. Sports are a great hobby of mine which is very beneficial. It is a good exercise and also a weight loss activity, which is fun and exciting. Swimming, basketball and lawn tennis are the sports that I am into and I play them with my family and friends.
  6. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

Sometimes, it doesn't work for me as my hobby is video games and sometimes I smoked while playing video games back then when I was still a heavy smoker. I guess I need to pick up a better hobby as my current addiction to snacking cannot be gotten over by doing my hobby as well. I am starting to pick up in running as it is an inexpensive hobby and hopefully it can help me with my weight as well as keep my mind out of snacking. I agree that your hobby sounds cool though.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Let's see. Try video games, or watching movies. Not the most productive way to spend your valuable time, but it will keep you away from addiction. Or better yet, get on to facebook and watch time fly.
  8. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Books and movies are always good if you're struggling to find something that holds your interest. Fitness can have immesurable benefits too.
  9. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Yeah I agree that finding some new hobbies are doing some old ones will keep you busy and free your mind from wanting to indulge in drugs. Doing hobbies that involve other people such as family members and friends who are supportive will be even better.
  10. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Likewise. I might not be too competitive with my exercising, but I enjoy it immensely. I like the buzz, I like the heat and the soreness -- more than I could like substance induced highs.
    But more than this, something I've noticed is that it happens often that a nice workout makes me want to drink water and eat healthy stuff. So, bonus on that!
    I like finding new hobbies. It just.. sort of recenters the world for me. When I learned how to draw better, I would pay extra attention to the lights and shadows on people and things, and the shape and curves of a lip or of an object. When I started learning music, paid more attention to sounds. When I got into making my own jewellery, made me notice what people wore for jewellery.
    blur92 likes this.
  11. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I have renewed my long lost interest in writing and while not addicted to any substance it keeps me out of trouble. Between, my writing, my dogs and my work I wouldn't have time for any addictions. What's sadly lacking is consistent exercise and paddle/beach keeps calling my name. I just need to respond to call.
  12. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

I enjoy writing, and I frequent a lot of forums and share my experiences with others.
    I used to write blogs too. I also try to have company of my friends whenever I feel let down.
    VitaMuse likes this.
  13. blur92

Same here! I also crave healthier foods after a workout. Moreover, when I quit working out for sometime I will begin indulging in unhealthy foods, becoming less active, and the like. Working out gives me motivation in my daily life and makes me feel good about myself. It's a great way to resist substance abuse.
    VitaMuse likes this.
  14. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I am usually preoccupied with novels, Japanese comics and animation (all things otaku-ish), writing, the Internet, philosophizing, playing with our cats, traveling places, random food trips and many more. I try to vary my activities to discourage boredom. I always do things I'm comfortable doing so that I have lots of ways to cope up with all sorts of stress.
  15. bluedressed

Hahha yes! I was pretty inactive over the winter, foregoing my jogging and all (which I had only started a few months before the cold set in). Man, I went back to run yesterday and after 600m I had cramps! Awful. I let go of trying to run a few kilometers, I did pilates and yoga instead (which actually can be quite a workout) and it made me want to eat healthy and eating healthy made me want to keep doing active stuff.

I find it fascinating how much of a spiral it is... but how it also goes in both direction! Stop doing it, and you will be led down and down to unhealthiness. Give yourself back a push -- a sincere one, not a "I will go to the gym even if I think it's boring!" -- and you will spiral up.

It's pretty inspiring!
    blur92 likes this.
  16. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is nice that you found a hobby that will keep you away from bad vices. It is true that having a hobby that you really enjoy, you can avoid spending time and money on unwanted things. :)
    Reading articles online and taking care of our pets keep me busy. :D
    VitaMuse likes this.
  17. jbepp

jbepp Active Contributor

It;s nice to know that you found some healthy hobbies to keep you occupied and away from unhealthy addictions. I personally love to build models too, specifically Japanese models of robots called Gunpla, They're pretty cheap and the details are so awesome that I just can't stop building them.
  18. blur92

It really is inspiring :) Since I can't jog in the winter months, I have been considering yoga but have almost no knowledge on the topic. What resource would you recommend to a beginner? This also would be a great way to avoid substance abuse and distract me.
  19. bluedressed

I've taken a few classes in the past, but since there is no yoga class where I live, I've been watching the "30 day Yoga Challenge" on Youtube from Erin Motz, who is completely charming, and every day the workout focus in on something specific (posture, abs, chest and shoulders, etc) so you get a pretty varied experience and you don't have to figure out how to make your own sequences yourself. So from home, this is nice. I'd say going in a class might be better because then, you get a teacher to correct your movements if you make it wrong (because it can make a big difference) and sort of anchor you and connect to. However, this videos are really popular, and there are other free videos for yoga routine to be found, depending what you're looking for!

If you want to check out some pilates (because it's nice to be able to workout with a focus without a gym!), too, I'd say check out the POP Pilates (youtube channel blogilates). This is the "for beginner total body work out" :

I like that, and the ones focusing on the back, because I want a better posture and all.

Because I honestly spent the last X years slouching and now I sort of want to stand tall and proud. :)
    blur92 likes this.
  20. blur92

Thanks so much! I prefer working out at home. Usually, I do better this way. This video will help me out immensely and seems to be exactly what I am looking for :)