An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Hobbyist support groups

Discussion in 'Other Recovery Support Groups' started by iga, Nov 30, 2015.

1. iga

iga Member

I have heard quite a few people talk about hobby groups that cater almost exclusively to people who have had substance abuse issues in the past, but can't seem to find anything like that around my area. I mean like a UAV flying club, or an automotive club that pretty much doubles as a substance abuse organization. Any hobby group like that around my area are upper-scale and usually have reservations about allowing someone with a troubled past in. Has anybody had luck with anything like this?
  2. hwarren

hwarren Member

I've actually never heard of this - I know that any group you join for whatever hobby can't discriminate you because of your past if that helps. I mean joining golf or tennis, they won't ask you to fill an auto-biography in on your drug or alcohol use. I think.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I am not aware of any hobbyist group that is also a drug abuse support group. Maybe because these groups are focusing on one thing and that is the hobby or the support. I think it is easier to find a drug abuse support group that also have recreational programs for their members.
  4. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Sadly this is the very first time I hear about this, but it sounds like a really wonderful idea. Specially if you no longer have friends (because all the old ones had to be dropped since they were addicts too) and need to find new ones who are on the same page. It happens, friends drift apart and people move on. I think they don't have this in my country though :(