An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Home distillation and addiction

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by amin021023, Jul 8, 2015.

1. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Hey all, I live in a country that it's so much cheaper and easier and safer to distill alcohol for yourself and I've been reading a lot on the internet about home distilling and flavoring and so far it seems fairly easy and interesting and I'm gonna go for it, but what has been disturbing me is that I might get myself into a horrible addiction since literally there will be no limits when I start distilling alcohol and I know myself and I know that I get hooked on things easily so I'm not sure if I should even try it...

What are your thoughts on this matter, have you done this or know someone who does it?
  2. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

If you have a predisposition to getting addicted to alcohol, home distilling won't be helping you. My grandparents had a distillery on their farm, and we always had nut and plum liquor around the place. I have never tasted anything so special again in all my drinking years . But the alcohol was used like a panacea for every possible ailment. My grandmother applied it on my ankle when I twisted it, rubbed it on my chest when I had a cold, put a few drops into my tea when I couldn't sleep, and so on. It was used for disinfection and medicine.
  3. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Well if you get addicted to things easily then maybe you distilling alcohol at home for the purpose of consumption is not a good idea. If you can control your drinking then go for it! I have never seen anyone make their own alcohol at home so I don't know if it will be as good as the factory made one or better.
  4. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I know one friend who is from the Ireland and they are into this sort of thing but have never asked about it and would be interesting to try and do this, but buying the equipment can mean spending a bit of money. This may not be good if you have had an addiction before and the problem can cause problems to return which will not be a good thing. I think that a person will need to watch the amount they consume as the taste can be nice for the tongue, and the weight can increase as well due to consuming the homemade liquor.
  5. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

So, you get addicted easily. I'm guessing you already drink even before thinking about make your own booze. I don't think addiction can be generalized. I mean, if you're easily addicted to watching a show, that doesn't mean you will easily get addicted to alcohol. If you already drink and are not addicted to it, I say go for it. It should save you a few bucks and it seems like a fun hobby. Otherwise, if you are feeling like you are doing this so that you get more booze, I don't think it is a wise idea.
    amin021023 likes this.
  6. henry

henry Community Champion

As everyone has already said, it's not cool having an unlimited supply of anything, if you know you can't handle it. I've always dreamed of making my own booze, though. But, you and I have the same problem. I would surely turn into an alcoholic.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While it might be cheaper to brew your own beers, it's certainly not going to help if you have an addictive personality. As others have said, having easy access to a substance will only make you have more of it so while it might be tempting to do cost wise, I wouldn't recommend it to be honest.
  8. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I wouldn't recommend it to somebody who has an addiction. It just makes it more accessible and easy to get whenever you want it. You would be create more of a problem for yourself. I can't see how that would be a good thing at all in your situation. I really don't think it is a good idea.