New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Homelessness and addiction.

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by True concern, Jun 2, 2018.

1. True concern

True concern Community Champion

So I'm not a person who think's these human's are less worthy than the rest of us,infact I'm the opposite.I'm honestly very poor financially,i live with my family of 5 in a 2 bedroom apartment,we combine all of our money just to make it monthly.Combined we survive off around 2,600 dollar's a month.I have no car insurance because I can't afford it,i have 3 pair's of clothes total 1 pair of shoes and our rent cost 1'875 a month.This leaves us roughly 700 dollar's and after the water,electric,gas bill we have roughly 250 dollar's a month to eat on,i usually eat very poorly out of the 80 dollar's i might have in my pocket i hand out over half of that to the homeless and basically i eat whatever left overs there are after everyone in my family is done eating and i am grateful for that and desire nothing more.Today i spent many hour's in area's with high level's of homeless individuals.What i was doing was interacting with them without them being aware,just simple little thing's like an individual who i know to be homeless was riding his bike in a cross walk while i waited to turn left and after he got half way across he looked over and said thank you.This made me sad,all i could think is this individual had the right of way and thanked me for allowing him to cross,i instantly started thinking about how society has wronged this individual to the point he felt obligated to say thank you as if other's I've watched turn and get right up to the cross walk and honk and yell at them to hurry the fu×k up.I parked in a spot where there is a few military vet's from Iraq and or Afghanistan who are now homeless and obviously suffer from P.T.S.D,well at least one of them does as he get's super anxious as traffic builds around him like he is checking for a car bomb or something,the other individual has one missing leg and no prosthetic and balances by leaning on a crutch.I have seen other's in small groups of maybe 5-6 vets leaning up against a wall super filthy and with severe sunburns just drinking and adjusting their few belongings usually an army style bag with a wrapped up sleeping bag.I also know several people who have not served that i know are major drug addicts and try their best just to eat,sleep,and stay out of the way while they struggle to get high just to be be stuck in withdrawals alone stuck in a dark alley.I struggle every month but i make it,same as them however why does humanity see no worth in these individuals?Some gave and risked their lives to come home and be treated worse than dog's And as addicts if nothing else we have either been homeless or very close to it at time's and though we still struggle and work on fixing ourselves part of us healing is learning to care and love again,i personally feel my heart warm to offer them 5 of my 10 dollar's it's helping me learn to see,feel,and understand what's important and what's important is everyone.We all have bad time's,we all need a little help now and then we can all use a bright spot in a dark world.If you can help one another,If you will think of other's as much as yourselves it will ultimately help you on your journey and them on theirs.Stay Strong and God Bless each and everyone of you.Take Care
    lonewolves likes this.
  2. Josh111187

Josh111187 Community Champion

@True concern, thank you. I was homeless for two years and this seems like yesterday sometimes even though I am in a better situation now.
    It was because of people like you when I survived the bitterly cold homeless winters.
    In fact I will never forget one family who was walking by me one day in the mall. Obviously I wasn't shopping but just trying to stay out of the snow. Well I remember the mother had an armful of what I assumed she was going to buy, however she called out to me and I came we made small talk I was very self conscious,but she put down her armful and took me to kinnukins and outfitted me with a full set of winter clothes.
    I don't think I would have lived through that winter without that coat and hat, still have the coat.
    I try to always remember that and am greatful for others with your generosity and kindness of spirit.
  3. True concern

It's important to who we are as human's
    lonewolves, deanokat and Josh111187 like this.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@True concern... I am so incredibly grateful that you are a part of this community. You, my friend, have a heart of gold.

@Josh111187... That's a great story. That woman was an angel to you.

“Gratitude begins in our hearts and then dovetails into behavior. It almost always makes you willing to be of service, which is where the joy resides....When you are aware of all that has been given to you, in your lifetime and the past few days, it is hard not to be humbled, and pleased to give back.”
    --Anne Lamott
    True concern likes this.
  5. True concern

I truly appreciate the kind words and i don't know how i feel about it because I always thought i hated everything,but i am learning i care about everything and everyone as if they are my own family.I don't understand why i have gone from hate to love but i am grateful i have.I believe one man can make a difference and truth be told it drive's me with an intense passion
    deanokat likes this.
  6. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

One man can make a difference, @True concern. Don't try to figure out why you went from hate to love. Just be grateful it happened, and do your best to use that gift to help others. :)
    True concern likes this.