An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Hookah

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by brookeemily, Jun 16, 2015.

1. brookeemily

brookeemily Active Contributor

How do you guys feel about smoking hookah? Do you think it's better than smoking a cigarette? I know that there has been a lot of debate on the topic because people believe that hookah is safe (which it definitely isn't), but how do you think it compares to other types of smoking?
  2. portraitofjs

portraitofjs Member

Hookah is far from safe. In terms of the amount of tar etc. per unit volume of smoke, smoking shisha is almost certainly worse than smoking cigarettes. Plus, a user inhales more smoke from a hookah session than from a cigarette. On the side of mitigating factors, most shisha smokers don't use it regularly the way cigarette smokers do - but don't be fooled into thinking it is "safer".

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/quit-smoking/expert-answers/hookah/faq-20057920
  3. Missfortune81

Missfortune81 Member

I have only tried hookah once and I have always wondered about the effects of it. I definitely enjoyed it, but I don't think I will be doing it all that often, anyway. It makes sense that it would be more harmful because you end up inhaling more smoke. Very interesting information.
  4. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Hookah is gross in my opinion, I tried it once and didn´t see why some people seem to love it. I think hookah is far worse than smoking an average cigarette because of all the smoke you end up inhalating just for errr pleasure. The thing is just nasty and not plasurable at all, but then again...I have never been a big fan of smoking to start with
  5. Se7en

Se7en Active Contributor

I love smoking hookah once in a while. So many different tastes you can choose from :D I don't think it is safer than cigarette - but it doesn't have that burn feeling, smoke goes through water, you're smoking tobacco leafs with aroma. I'd say it quite safe if you smoke it in limits.
  6. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I know some people who smoke hookah and some have liked it and others have not enjoyed it as the substance has, been shown to be harmful and the taste can be bad for the mouth. People need to learn about the ill effects of this as it can, be harmful to the lungs and also sometimes people share it and can get germs from it in the process. I reckon some people enjoy the tastes and have known who go through a session a day and sometimes feel more hungry when they have a few puffs from this.
  7. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

While I'm no expert on hookah, I've heard that it's even more dangerous than smoking cigarettes. I know hookah is particularly popular in middle eastern countries and is gradually gaining foothold in the west. People always want to try out anything that seems new and exotic without realizing the consequences. Personally, I place smoking hookah on the list of activities that are best avoided for anyone that wants to live healthily.
  8. Se7en

Se7en Active Contributor

I remember everyone telling me hookah is safer than cigarettes, than it isn't harmfull or bad for you... Now after reading this thread I realized that they were wrong...
  9. panda

panda Member

Oh my lord, hookah is so much worse for you.
    I've smoked it and enjoyed it. Regrettably, I would do it again a hundred times.
  10. Se7en

Se7en Active Contributor

I used to smoke it a lot when I was 15 :(
  11. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I use to think hooka smoking was safe. I found out from research that you get way more tobacco smoke from the hooka than cigarettes. If you get more smoke from the hooka you get more nicotine. Tobacco has no health benefits. I think hookah smoking can be more harmful than most people think.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

You know what I don't think it's good to put any smoke purposely in your mouth and lungs. Any smoke can't really be good.

I'd like to ask some american indians what they think about their peace pipe and smoking. They kind of look worn out cause my experience is that I see it ages people. Makes the face look older as opposed to those that don't. I am curious though what they'll say about this crap, that the white man makes, marlboro and all of this.
    American Indians smoked out of the calumet or pipe. Tobacco and Kinnickinnick. Which means what is mixed. This would have things like bark of red willow and dogwood or sumac leaves. It was carried as a gift for trade. The Shaman and medicine man were the ones that would smoke. They believed it carried your thoughts and prayers to heaven. I really wonder what they say now.
  13. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I see people smoking it all the time, and I think they are nut to even think that it's a better alternative. It's still hurting your lungs no matter what. You just look cooler with a big frickin bottle and pipe.
  14. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

If it's any better, it's not by much. I personally don't see the appeal as it's rather inconvenient having to lug around a giant smoking apparatus just to have a smoke.