An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Hot Flashes

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Rosyrain, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Has anyone experienced hot flashes when they were trying to quit smoking? Mine started about the time I quit and I am not sure if they are a result of or something else. I am too young for menopause, so I have to attribute it to quitting. I am going to see my doctor for a check up on Friday and plan to ask her about it.
  2. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

It sounds like the hot flashes are indeed a result of your quitting. Your body is probably trying to tell you that it "needs" that daily fix of the nicotine, and it's responding by causing hot flashes. I don't know what your doctor is going to do about it, but the flashes will go away sooner or later. It's different for each person. I'm sure there are some relief options for you that your doctor is going to present.
  3. webdangol223

webdangol223 Member

Oh...It Sounds Interesting.:) I want to try it.:cool::cool:
  4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Well, u went to the doctor and there is nothing wrong with me that she could tell. The hot flashes are minor panic attacks and I just have to relax my body in order to get them to go away. At least I am a healthy person.
  5. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I get this from quitting as a byproduct of the anxiety that quitting causes I think. I figured it was normal for anyone undergoing withdrawal-induce anxiety.
  6. Rodrigo1337

Rodrigo1337 Member

I'm in the process of quitting, and I noticed an huge increase in hot flashes. I have mild anxiety as it is, and smoking seemed to keep that in check, but since I started cutting back, I've noticed that, in conversations in particular, my face would get beet red, my body temperature would skyrocket, and I would start to sweat. I hope to God it eventually stops after I quit, but I just have to deal with it for the time being.

As far as panic attacks go, I was still in high school when I last had one(before cutting back). They were really severe back then, but I only had a couple dozen. Since I started quitting, I've had maybe four, and they weren't as horrific as back then, so crossing my fingers on that one.