An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How addictive do you think cigarettes are?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Tremmie, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Sometimes I wonder if the main problem with my fiance is actually a nicotine addiction, or just the fact he has been smoking for so long is now an habit that is now a very important part of his life. I have read cigarettes are so addictive, but part of me believes the habit is a big part of it as well.

Do you think this addiction is more psychological than physical or vise versa? I have heard from so many smokers they smoke just to handle their stress, since they don't know a better way to do it. I say there are far better ways than handling stress, I know because right now I'm handling stress quite well by just exercising on a daily basis and keeping myself busy :)
    amin021023 likes this.
  2. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

Smokers are physically, as well as psychologically addicted. You are right about it being a habit just like any other habit, Cigarettes are worse than Heroin to quit. The withdrawal last much longer. Smokers do need to learn new coping skills to help them overcome their adddiction to the cigs.
  3. Tremmie

@pstrong1969 Man, that sounds awful! I'm so glad I could never get into that vice, but also worried about my fiance who seems to be unable to quit. I think I have heard about cigarettes being worse than Heroine when it comes to quitting. No wonder he seems to fail every time he tries to quit cold turkey.
  4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I think cigarettes are equally as addictive as alcohol or drugs, from my experiences. It takes a lot of time to be able to even consider quitting smoking, and then it's going to take a while to get used to the craving feelings and all the drawbacks. If you'll get over those obstacles then you've nearly "defeated" this addiction.
  5. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

According to the UK government, smoking tobacco is more addictive and more difficult to quit than heroin. Quitting smoking has physical side effects, not just psychological ones, although psychology does also play a major part in it. I think it's easier to give up a lot of other substances than it is to give up tobacco. Nicotine is incredibly addictive.
  6. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Like extremely, wasn't there a study that said it is more addictive than heroin? I mean that's pretty bad.
  7. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

Unlike other hardcore drugs, such as heroine and cocaine, for example, I strongly believe cigarettes are way more addictive and killing you slowly. Just like someone pointed out above, tobacco smokers are bound to both psychological and physical addiction, which is completely dreadful. I'm a smoker, and have recently reached the 20 cigarettes a day mark, and truthfully, I wish I quit tomorrow, but I tried every single existent method known to humanity and nothing seems to work. I guess time will tell my fate.
  8. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Cigarettes are very addictive and once a person's hooked, it's almost impossible to quit it for good, but it's not something you really need to worry about, we all know smoking kills but we all know some smokers who have led a long successful life. cutting down on cigaretts is easy you could get your fiance to smoke less or get him an E-cig?
    take it easy, cigaretts don't ruin lives like drugs do...
  9. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

I think that there was such a study. So you should imagine how hard it is to quit smoking after even a year.
    All of your thoughts go around smoking, and "force" you to lit one up, and another one and it goes on like that.
    Also cigarettes help you to deal with stress and your every day problems.
  10. harold

harold Community Champion

I believe that cigarettes are as addictive as the other drugs. At the beginning, it could merely be a habit, but in the long run, it often ends up as an addiction. I know a friend who was addicted to smoking and could not skip a day without smoking. I remember a day that he went out under a dangerous storm that could have harmed him or done worse, just to buy a cigaret and smoke. That night, we tried to convince him to stay back, but he was so addicted to cigarettes that he couldn't control the urge. Thank God my friend finally listened to us and is clean today. Cigarets could be a habit in the short run, but in the long run it becomes an addiction. Many people sometimes believe that they are not addicted and that it is merely a habit. In the long run, they often realize how mistaken they are.
    kjones likes this.
  11. kjones

kjones Member

Cigarettes are the WORST! I never thought I would quit drinking, and then one day it happened. That's been ten years ago. Nicotine will not let go of me. It's the hardest substance to quit that I've ever seen in my life. I have been smoking for decades :( - I can curtail it, but I can't quit!
    harold likes this.
  12. Tremmie

Thanks, I've thought about e-cigs and will probably go down that road if he just can't manage to quit cold turkey. I think e-cigs are safer option, way more safer than smoking a cigarette. So it actually sounds like a good replacement in case he can't seem to let go of the cigarette.
  13. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Nicotine has proven to be addictive, but cigarettes have way more than that in them. Cigarettes have tar nicotine and other things in them that are unknown. There are a lot of people that couldn't quit smoking even when threatened with health problems. There has to be way more to being addicted to cigarettes than just a psychological effect. A lot of things in cigarettes lead to dependency on them.
  14. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

From everything I've seen, extremely addictive. I know people who continue to smoke even though they say they get no pleasure out of it, they know it's bad for them, they know they can't afford to, it's freezing to have to go outside in winter, etc. They want to not feel the withdrawal symptoms more than they want to quit. Also, I think there's a social component to smoking. Smokers tend to hang out together, take their breaks at work together, things like that. It's probably weird for some people to suddenly be the only one not smoking out in back of the building with all their friends.
    amin021023 likes this.
  15. Emerson_B

Emerson_B Active Contributor

It is extremely addictive. Before I started, I used to think that It would be easy for me to to just kick the habit when I wanted to. It tok me a very long time and how many tries before I was able to get rid of it. I am currently using e-cigs and also in the process of getting rid of it as well. I feel like its easier for me to get rid of the e-cigs than when I was trying to get rid of the cigarettes.
  16. harold

harold Community Champion

I am glad that you were able to quit drinking. Thanks for your contribution. It shows just how addictive cigarets are. I hope you can quit someday! It is going to be a difficult challenge to quit smoking. You will have to discipline yourself to achieve this result, given the strength this addiction has on people. I am suggesting that you take a firm resolution against cigarets, begin by reducing the quantity you take gradually, and then begin to skip days. One day you might just find out that you no longer take it. I am glad that you know the power of the challenge. Thanks for your contribution. I wish you well with this battle. I hope that you can testify someday and tell us how you won the battle.
  17. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

man you just pointed out something very important that is missed by many people. that's absolutely right, smokers do create special relationships with each other...I remember a friend of mine almost freaked out when I told him I'm done with cigs and shout out a No ! to my face, at that time I was really close to let go of Cigs but failed maybe that had something to do with it...
  18. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

It's extremely addictive. Do a bit of research on the science behind it and you'll see what I mean. I believe that nicotine's dopaminergic activity is 8 times that of food, if that puts it in perspective.
  19. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I knew it was bad but that's quite shocking! But is this high or low compared to the dopaminergic activity of other substances like marijuana, cocaine, heroin, etc? If it's still higher than all of them, then I guess tobacco really is more addictive than heroin!
  20. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I believe that. Usually the UK figures things like this out faster than the rest of the world. Can you imagine and cigarettes have been legal for a long time. If this doesn't make people wonder about marijuana they are asleep.