An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How Addictive is Tramadol, Really?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by SF13, Oct 30, 2014.

1. reubhole

reubhole Member

I have just been prescribed Tramadol for back pain to be able to sleep. I tried it but it didn't help me sleep at all! Is this a usual sleep aid? I don't think I will take it any more, since I still slept badly and I felt extra groggy the next day.
  2. sazzydan

sazzydan Active Contributor

Tramadol can be very addictive and I know people can become very dependent on it which is where the problems start.

I take Tramadol at the moment, and have done for the best pat of six months for an ongoing knee problem, but I have to say I am VERY strict with how much medicine I take, for the simple reason that I do not want to become hooked on the stuff.

I believe that if you keep your medicine regime strict enough, it is a great pain reliever, or it has been for me. I think the main issue here is that some people get a strong sense of well being and euphoria with the drug, which is what they get hooked on. Tramadol is one of the worst drugs to come off in my opinion, not because it is hard to stop as such, but more so the withdrawal people get when coming off it. I have personally come off these tablets for a few months after I had an operation because I was given alternative medicine and It was horrible. I had restless legs and I was an emotional wreck for a few days. Teh best thing was it only lasted a couple of days and each day got better and better.

for those coming off Tramadol, just remember, it gets better! Much much better. Plenty of fluids and hot baths helped me a great deal. Obviously this is not medical advice and if you are struggling I strongly recommend speaking to your doctor before you stop taking this medicine!

Thanks for reading!
  3. Gale

Gale Member

I have never tried it but it sounds to have a great effect on someone. Thanks to your comment I now have an idea of how it feels when you take it. :p :)
  4. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

This is one of the reasons why I decided a long time ago I'd not take pain medications... I live with chronic pain, and have been living with it since my early 20's (it's been getting worse the last 2 years though). My mom often asks me why I don't want to take pain medication and muscle relaxers (along with a ton of other medications I should be taking for my pain), the answer is always the same: I don't want to be a slave of pain medication.

I'm a former addict, it'd be such a slap on the face to fall for it again.. but this time do it with pain meds. No, I won't. I know myself... I have this tendency to addictions. So no, pain medications are not for me. Plus all those meds come with some really nasty side effects... the pharma industry is evil.
  5. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

This is based solely on my personal experience. If I had been given tramadol before I was addicted, I would have not gotten addicted because of it. But when I got it after I became addicted, I would have eaten the entire bottle in a night trying to get a buzz. And it actually gave me a buzz when I mixed it a few times with muscle relaxers or benzos or weak hydrocodone.
  6. karebear07

karebear07 Active Contributor

It is an opioid analog so it is very common for people to get addicted to this medication. That is why doctors only prescribe a certain quality per patient. Doctors are aware of its addictive properties are suppose to report any red flags if they suspect that the patient is addicted!
  7. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

I have taken tramadol some years ago but it kept me awake, it's a occasional side effect, they are addictive.

I have taken for many years remedeine which is a combination painkiller of 500mg paracetamol and dihydrocodeine 20mg, these are addictive to some people although i think i have been more dependant on them and in the past few days weaned myself from four a day to one, i will be stopping that very shortly, i now use a tens machine which works for me, it electrically stimulates the pain area providing increased blood flow.
  8. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

Tramadol is not addictive but like any drug you can get to where you depend on it. I take this drug for back pain but it dont really do much I get sweats when I take it so I'm not sure what your going through maybe you should go see your doctor it might be something eles going on
  9. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

Since it is an opiate then yes it can be addictive if abused. You will get a withdrawal when you come off them (the sweats you describe), however your doctor will recommend that you stop taking them gradually when the time comes to not take them anymore, this will ensure that you don't have the withdrawal side effects. Don't worry as long as you are taking them as prescribed, you will be fine.
  10. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

My husband had tramadol for his sciatica pain and he was on it for approx 6 months - it had no addictive effects on him.
  11. Christian

Christian DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Tramadol has become an increasing problem over the last couple of years. It has flown under the radar due to it not being classified as a narcotic until as of late. The problems with Tramadol (not to be confused with Toradol), didn't really rear it's head until the over prescribing of it to NFL players brought more awareness to the addictive nature of the drug. NFL players are prescribed a wide variety of medications for the punishing nature of the game and the obvious ensuing injuries that come from it so Tramadol not being classified as schedule 2 narcotic when it was first introduced was a obvious choice to try and limit prescribing potentially more addictive pain meds such as hydrocodone, (vicodin) and other more potent pain meds. The problem was that while not quite as addictive as the Vicodin, Tramadol still was addictive and when prescribed at high dosages and for a prolonged period of time it can be just as tough or even tougher to get off of than the drugs it was designed to replace. It also can loose it's effectiveness over time and as a result dosages can be increased and inevitably create more of a problem when trying to quit successfully. It not only binds to the μ-opioid receptor, it inhibits the reuptake of serotonin and norepinephrine. So in this it can be harder to detox from due to the dual nature of the drug.
    Just as with any opiate based pain medication, if taken for any prolonged period of time, and at high dosages the very nature of the drug will create a physical dependence to it.