An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How an addict sees seeking help?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by whitenoise, Jun 5, 2015.

1. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

Hi guys, for the one who have been addicted or unfortunately they still are addicted how do you find the fact of seeking for help from somone? Are you too proud to do it or it is a disturbind and bothering fact you won't never do ?
  2. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

A young friend admits himself into a rehab facility. And then, he would be clean for six months. And then, he is back to rehab. He deeply wants to be well and clean. But the pressures of life with which seems to give in more to the easier way out-- drug use. Tho' he still lives with his good, loving family, he seems to be well-off with money to keep providing his flesh with drugs.

If only people would see themselves privileged, compared to many people and children suffering in the fangs of starvation because of poverty, would use their time, money and gift of life in many productive ways and in helping others less privileged than they are.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  3. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

So for me, the issue would not be pride but it would just be the fact that I have to be careful as to whom I speak about my situation. There are some persons that are just judgmental all year round, whilst there are those who are. understanding. So it's a matter of who I speak with
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I think addicts tend to be very reluctant when it comes to opening up with other people because they are scared of being judged by them, they are scared that they would get misunderstood, and they are afraid of being rejected. These are just some of the reasons that hinder addicts to seek help from someone.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Most addicts don't seek help because they live in denial. Take most alcoholics as an example. They think don't think of it as a problem which needs to be addressed.

And even when they realize at first that drinking is getting to be a problem don't seek help because [they think] it would make them appear weak. They are in control they think. They can turn their back on drugs any time they want, etc. But it never works that way.
  6. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Contributor

I am not addict but I had close associations with addicts. It's not really self-esteem that they are protecting in refusing to seek help, they are only protecting their addiction. It's like this hour they want to quit but the next hour they want to indulge again. As I see it, that seeking of help is just an alibi to cleanse their conscience. Addicts have their own devices to justify their addiction.
    Bonzer likes this.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think a lot of addicts don't seek help until the very last moment. It's a lot easier to live in denial and just keep on doing what your doing, by the time it comes to asking for help, you realise that it has to be done and there's no other option, so you just accept the fact your not going to be able to overcome it on your own.
  8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Some addicts may be scared of help just because they think they can handle themselves and don't have a big problem, while others take pride in being able to "concur" an addiction and not need help, which is a really wrong thing to believe.
  9. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

It's the basic human tendency. isn't it? Most people are pleasure-loving and want to avoid responsibility but when they know, they can't they feel trapped. They seek refuge in drugs and other intoxicating substances as life begins to assume daunting proportions for them.

The best recourse is to stay honest with ourselves and listen to our inner voice. Fantastic observation there. Well done!
    Corzhens likes this.
  10. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

It takes a lot for an addict to admit that they have a problem, so they tend to not want to seek help until they hit their rock bottom. Drugs and alcohol feel good, and an addict likes the feeling from doing them.
  11. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Contributor

You are right, pleasure is the spice of life and a basic human tendency to seek comfort and convenience. But we cannot expect an addict to be honest. The fact that he succumbed to addiction means he was not honest to himself. And that inner voice would surely be missing when a person becomes an addict. I also believe that drugs is a comforting note to users hence the addiction.
  12. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

It seems as though every addict I have ever come across has no heartache over lying to the ones that they love. I am not saying that every addict on the face of the earth is like that, but it comes with the territory. They have to lie to get what they need in life and to protect themselves.
  13. 6up

6up Community Champion

Many people are not open to talk about their status. They fear being laughed at by their friends or relatives. But we need to show support so that addicts can be open to us. We must understand that they are our friends and even family members. They are not supposed to shy away but instead be closer to us so that we can share with them.
  14. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Once I woke up to myself and what I was doing, I didn't see it as a bad or embarrassing thing to seek help. I needed a support network to get through it all, quite honestly - I think I would have felt more embarrassment if I never actually sought out help and continued down the road I was on.

I think it really depends on the individual though, and also probably the substance they are addicted to. I feel like in society some drugs are seen with more stigma than others - so depending on what the addict is trying to beat, they may feel some shame or embarrassment because society views their addiction in a certain manner.
  15. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

Indeed, some drug addicts seek help when it's almost too late. However, there are those who font get help any at all and they end up paying the consequence of dying. Sometimes seeking help is the last thing on the mind, and rather seeking money is the top priority seeing that drugs can't come without payments. It's hard, but one has to admit to oneself that what one is doing is only self destructive. Change comes through intrinsic self evaluation and confession to one's self.