An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How are Prescription Drugs Named?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by SashaS, Feb 27, 2016.

1. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

Drugs you buy at the pharmacy have funny names. Such as Adcodol, Cisplatin, Domperidone and countless other strange names that don't seem to make sense to me. Is there some sort of naming system they use, do these terms perhaps mean something? Or do they just come up with a bunch of words that don't exist and find the best suiting one? What's your opinion on this? Thanks!
  2. remnant

remnant Community Champion

The nomenclature of naming medicines has both pharmaceutical, business and artistic components. Some drugs are named to reflect their active principles. Others to reflect the manufacturer's brand name. Still others are assigned names based on the disease they are used to treat. For example, the drug Malariaquine. Most of there drugs are assigned a suffix (-quine) to complete the name. Malaria is the disease to be treated.
  3. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

Thanks, very interesting! I figured it would be something in the lines of what they are used to treat or their properties. But I never expected something in the lines of artistic components, that's quite a fascinating fact. I guess that once one knows this, it's easier to tell what a medicine or drug does for you simply based on what it's called. This is probably why some clerks at the pharmacy can immediately name the correct drug for the respective treatment, as well as identify which drug you're looking for and suggest alternatives without having to type it up.
  4. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

That's a really good question. I never really thought about why or how they name these medicines. I'm pretty sure there's
    a method to this this madness. Of course they would have to give them unique names so that one medicine won't get confused with another.
  5. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

You are funny. They just make it up. They probably have some cockamamy strategy with the lettering thinking it will make people want to take it. Paxil or whatever. The thing that makes me laugh is the commercials on TV. When I happen to see them. The side effects. The side effects are horrible. It's like you are watching these people at a picnic blowing bubbles around and having a grand old time. The announcer says if are taking blood thinners let your doctor know as this may cause a heart attack. If taking so and so if you have history of glaucoma you may experience suicidal thoughts. Coma may occur when taking so and so, so let your doctor know if you have any of the rare and unusual side effects, such as wheezing, fever, drowsiness or a runny nose.
    It's always some kind of long list of horrifying effects they side step with this pretty purple enclosed commercial that has all these happy people doing something simple. How out of it are people who take any of this stuff that they don't read or get to know the side effects to make a real decision if they actually want to take this stuff. The names, they probably play scrabble at a big table with a chalk board or something. Randomly take the letters and put them in a shaker. Drop them on the table. I don't know but the names are not real words. Lol You could name your son Paxil. The Xanax files. Sorry but LOL is more a real word than these names.
  6. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Imаginе gоing tо thе phаrmасy tо fill а prеsсriptiоn thаt yоur dосtоr sаid wоuld rеliеvе а thrоbbing еlbоw, аnd instеаd, thе сlеrk hаnds yоu аn аntidеprеssаnt. If drugs likе Сеlеbrеx, whiсh is usеd tо trеаt аrthritis, аnd Сеlеxа, аn аntidеprеssаnt, lооk аnd sоund tоо muсh аlikе, phаrmасists аnd nursеs саn еаsily соnfusе а dосtоr’s оrdеrs. Thе Fооd аnd Drug Аdministrаtiоn is inсrеаsingly wаry оf this dаngеr, mаking it hаrdеr thаn еvеr fоr phаrmасеutiсаl соmpаniеs аnd brаnding еxpеrts tо drеаm up а nаmе thаt thе аgеnсy will аpprоvе.