An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

How can I get my spouse to quit?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by primalclaws1974, Jan 2, 2015.

1. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

We have been together over ten years now. She smoked before we were ever together. I have never smoked. I have made insinuations (usually in a joking nature) that she needs to quit, but she basically says it's her body, her choice. She is respectful, she smokes outside all the time, and not in the car. So, she is only hurting herself. I know it can't be good for her, and someday she will see it in her health (she's only 32 right now). What can I do about it when I know she will resist me?
  2. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

The withdrawal could be tough when she forces to quit it. Just make sure to encourage her to stop doing it and explain to her how it's harmful. Cook for her healthy foods and make sure you exercise together. Maintain a healthy and active lifestyle with her and soon she will realize it's time to quit. Just be patient.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

The worst thing you can do is nag her to stop. It will only push her to smoke more. Why not get her a cheap disposable e-cigarette to try? Tell her something along the lines of you love her so much, you want as much time together as you possible can. Ultimately, though, the decision to quit has to come from within. It's like a moment when someone switches the lights on.
  4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I am now a former smoker and from personal experience the person really does have to want to quit to make it work. My finance quit smoking a couple of years ago and that was not motivation enough. My kid's were bugging me to quit and I would get annoyed that they were pestering me about it. One day I woke up and did not want to cough or waste the money anymore and that was when I decided it was time to give up the habit. Some say that quitting smoking is the hardest thing to quit because it is not illegal and is pretty much socially acceptable. The best thing you can do is just try to promote a healthy home and maybe exercise with your wife and perhaps she will come around on her own. Most people want to quit smoking but the circumstances need to be right.
  5. Beautyspin

Beautyspin Active Contributor

You have to have a discussion with your fiance and tell her that you are worried for her health and not annoyed at her. Find out if she ever tried quitting. Find out reasons why she is smoking and why she enjoys smoking so much. If after knowing the reasons, if you are able to, suggest alternatives and help support her if she has problems with finding the right alternatives. Find out the triggers for her smoking and see if you can reduce them. There are many things you could do to help her but the first thing would be to have an open discussion and find out if she really wants your help or not and if she really feels she wants to quit or not. If she is not interested in even considering it, there is nothing you can do, I am afraid, except chipping away at it.